Thursday, October 17, 2013

Halloween Prep 2013!

Are you ready for Halloween? We have a firefighter and a king cobra in the family this year. How about you?

Henry's costume is easy: it's a hand-me-down from the cousins' dress-up box, made by my mom years ago. Henry has been trying it out regularly. He's so excited! He did bring up being a ballerina instead this morning, so I hope he doesn't change his mind at the last minute.




Ben's costume, as usual, is not so easy. He knew he wanted to be an animal again, or maybe something from Star Wars. He went down the list of his favorite animals -- including Secretarybird, Mongoose and Krill, I kid you not -- and finally decided on King Cobra.



Image borrowed from Arkive.org


My 6-year-old knows exactly what he wants and it is very specific. He wants a costume that looks like a real snake, made with fabric that looks like real snake skin. With a hood that creates a flare on either side of the head. And fangs.

Here's his vision of it, with views from the front and from the side:




I went to Joann's the other day, looking for "snake" fabric. I lucked out in the fashion textile departments with snake prints in black/gold and gold/brown. I also grabbed some pleather in gold and black.




I am still hashing out construction. I found this King Cobra Ninja costume online and like how the costume part fits like a poncho/shell over the black clothing. That might work well for our purposes. I shall report back soon...




Ben keeps asking "So, are you ever going to make my costume?". Gotta love the sassy First Grade attitude, oy! But I realized today that, well, he's got a point. How is it already October 17?!!! I'd better get sewing.


What costumes are you guys working on? Any cuckoo requests from your kiddos? Share links if you've got them!


2 comments:

  1. This year I'm going to try and make one astronaut and one NASA scientist. I'm hoping that I can get away with transforming normal clothes as well as lots of duct tape. I haven't started yet though, so I'm going to have kids breathing down my neck soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see this!! Niko is going to be Spiderman this year. He wasn't a fan of the gorilla suit I made him last year so I let him pick his own. Monie is going to be a cat burglar. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...