Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Gifts for Secret Santa Exchange

Hello!

We're back to the school routine over here, as of yesterday, and I'm trying my best to get back into the swing of things. It doesn't help that I'm a bit (a lot) sleep-deprived due to getting sucked into yet another dystopian trilogy. Oh, how I love to read with my little Kindle, but I need to stop staying up so late!

I've been going through all my photos from the holiday season and realized I made quite a few gifts this year! I will start by showing you what I made for a handmade Secret Santa gift exchange with a group of mama friends.

In this exchange, we all provide some helpful tips and personal information about our tastes and wishes to help guide our Secret Santa. Among other info, my gift recipient said she would love a new scarf and small jewelry, and adored the smell of lavender. I focused on those points as I made my gifts:


- A pair of earrings

I made these with sterling silver and jade beads (at least I think they are jade, salvaged from a former bracelet) from my stash. It was fun to make jewelry again, it had been a while. There was a time in my twenties when I made new pieces almost every day!


Jenny: Christmas Presents


- An infinity scarf

This scarf features voile by Anna Maria Horner on one side and double cotton gauze in a light shade of coordinating chartreuse on the other side (Angel, do you recognize the style, I made yours at the same time!). I actually made quite a few infinity scarves for Christmas this year and will share more tomorrow.


Jenny: Christmas Presents


- Lavender dryer bags

These are so easy! I use reusable cotton tea bags, fill them with drier lavender and zigzag-stitch them shut. I then create a little pocket out of pretty fabric and stuff the tea bag in it, then top-stitch them closed. You can throw one of these in the dryer with your wet clothes and your laundry will come out smelling lovely! Multiple uses for each bag until the scent disappears.


Jenny: Christmas Presents

Jenny: Christmas Presents


- Scrappy Stocking Ornaments

I used my own tutorial to make some little ornaments for her! I kind of like this non-traditional color scheme, what do you think?


Jenny: Christmas Presents


I also threw in some homemade cookies. And that was it! I hope my recipient enjoyed her Secret Santa gifts!!

I myself received some pretty cool handmade Secret Santa gifts, including a large button trivet similar to this one on MAKE. I love it!


Did you guys participate in any handmade exchanges this holiday season? What did you make? What did you receive?!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the maze runner series. I said i was reading it to preview it for my boys but Im so secretly addicted to the dystopian books I just couldn't put that series down!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I am completely hooked. I may have to stay up till dawn to finish the 3rd one tonight... Eek.

      Delete
  2. Jenny, how did you find it working with the gauze? I, too, made a bunch of infinity scarves (using Anna Maria Horner's tutorial and her velveteen and voile. I love the fabrics you chose!

    On the lavender dryer bags, did you sew it shut twice or did you use a double needle? Your stitching is so pretty, I'd love to know how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, those lavender dryer bags are a great idea! I'm going to make some to have on hand for gifts. Of course, I should probably practice by making a set for myself first... ;-) Happy new year, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...