Thursday, November 29, 2012

I've Been Knitting!

Hi Angel,

I'm thinking about you this week and I hope you can feel some big virtual hugs coming from Washington. I know you've had a lot on your plate emotionally and otherwise, and I wish I could be there in person to relieve you a bit and provide some concrete support. Sigh. I look forward to 2013, as we will hopefully see each other then!

November and December are always so busy with all the year-end preparations and festivities. Having a small handmade business has added to the stress. Sometimes I feel like just throwing it all away and focusing on my family and relaxing instead. And other times, I remember that you have to work hard to get somewhere with, well, anything, and I power through another stressful but hopefully productive creative day. I am trying to crank out a lot of stuff for that Holiday Arts + Crafts Open House in Seattle and honestly, it's kicking my butt.

Anyway... I recently was going through my pictures and realized I never shared all the projects I've been knitting in recent months! That's right. After the frustrating half-fiasco of the fingerless gloves, I took a break from knitting but started up again to make a blanket for a special baby in early summer.


Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects


I used the pattern from Purl Bee for the striped baby blanket, and opted to use just two colors instead of seven. I wish I had seen their new tutorial for clean edges before getting started, as mine are quite wobbly. Oh well. The yarn is Organic Simply Cotton from Knit Picks in Worsted Weight. The colors are Wave Heather and Basalt Heather. I believe I used two to three skeins of each.

Garter stitch is SO luxurious. I love this blanket! It reminds me of the baby blanket I had made for Henry. I got it out of the closet for a sweet baby girl who napped at my house the other day and was reminded of how much I love it.


Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects


With the yarn that was left and more from my stash, I started to knit hats. Lots of hats.

Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects


Some I gave as baby gifts, some are for my boys, but mostly, I've enjoyed just having a simple project on the needles in the evening, in the car or at the playground. I blogged about the stem hat before, and I just winged the pattern for the other one.

Here are the boys' hats. Ben threw a fit when I asked to take photos of him wearing it and threw his hat on the wet muddy ground and STEPPED on it. Seriously?! Kindergarten sass will do me in. Henry happily modeled, but only after pulling on his hat every which way, so it's a bit stretched out.


Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects

There are made with Simply Cotton organic yarn again, in Green Tea Heather and Camel Heather (which is no longer available).

After all these hats, I decided to make something for ME. I am working on a cowl for cold winter days, using a gorgeous Swish Tonal Yarn from Knit Picks again, in the Pacific colorway. Can't wait to wear this one!


Jenny: Knitting Projects

Jenny: Knitting Projects


Knitting is such a perfect autumn and winter activity. I love to knit away in front of a favorite show in the evening, cuddled up next to the hubby under a quilt. Are you knitting anything these days? I'd love to know what you have on the needles.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been knitting lately but crocheting. The cooler weather must bring that desire out in all of us!

    Beautiful blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the stripey garter blanket! It really is a lovely, simple (and mindless) stitch, I love that. I want to knit myself a pair of fingerless gloves, asap! Becky also gave me some gorgeous sock wool that I hope to make into socks, though that will not start until after the holidays I am sure!

    xo and yes, let's hope we see each other 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blanket and hats! Super cute. And I can't wait to see your cowl. Are you using a pattern? Or winging it. I love that color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments on my little blanket! I loved how it turned out and how substantial and cozy it felt. Can't go wrong with garter stitch!

    Deia, for the cowl, I am winging it. I am using worsted weight yarn and cast on 160 stitches (I think?) on a circular needle. I am doing 3 st knit, 5 st purl, and will go until I run out of yarn. We shall see!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...