Sunday, November 4, 2012

Halloween Costume: Peregrine Falcon

Hi Angel!

I hope you're enjoying the weekend. The Daylight Savings time switch is once again kicking our butts over here, with Henry up at 4 a.m. instead of his usual 5 a.m. Yawn... It is also gross and rainy outside, so we're looking at a Sunday at home, and I need to fish something out of my bag of crafty tricks. Maybe we'll do some collage or painting, or maybe bake some cookies! That actually sounds pretty good! How about you?

I wanted to show you Ben's finished Halloween costume. I got it done on Tuesday evening, and while it was slightly last minute, it came together pretty well. Ben wore it to school on Wednesday morning for the school Halloween party and was so proud of himself!

Here's my Peregrine Falcon and his little bro Dinosaur (an old costume, made by my mom) on Halloween morning:


Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes


I changed my plans a bit after my original sketches. I ended up creating more of a poncho for the wings and body of the falcon, rather than a shell and separate wings attached to the arms. We also skipped painting spots on the front of the body.


Jenny: Prep for Halloween 2012 Jenny: Halloween Costumes 2012


Jenny: Prep for Halloween 2012 Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes


With the thick layers of felt feathers, the poncho at first made Ben look like a big fluffy chicken. So I sewed the wing layers together with horizontal lines under the feathers, from the tip/edge to where the torso would be. This made the wings flat aside from a "tunnel" for each arm to slide through. That fixed the issue!


Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes

Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes


For the "helmet", I copied the shape and size of a winter hat, then added a few pin-tucks (is that the correct term?) until the fit was as good as it was going to get. The beak is filled with a little polyfill and painted with grey and white fabric paint. There's elastic under the chin to keep it in place. Next time, I would line the inside with a soft cotton -- Ben was a trooper and kept his helmet on the entire day but complained of itchiness.


Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes

Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes


The claws were quite tricky to make. I copied some firefighter boots from an old homemade costume, enlarged them and cut out claws that I top-stitched down the middle and at the end to give them a 3-dimensional quality. I painted the "nails" with black fabric paint. From far away, I think they actually looked like claws, but from up close, eek.


Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes

Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes

Jenny: Halloween Costumes 2012

Jenny: Halloween 2012 Costumes


Overall I am pretty pleased with how it turned out! I have definitely learned some aspects of apparel and costume construction since last year, and am proud of how this costume turned out. It is always such fun to deliver a successful execution of your kid's vision. Ben was thrilled!

* * *

For those of you interested in the construction of this costume (I hear there's a lot of kiddos obsessed with peregrine falcons thanks to Wild Kratts!), you can see my process and progress in these two previous posts:

Part 1 - Halloween Prep: Peregrine Falcon
Part 2 - Who's Ready for Halloween?

I hope that helps! Don't hesitate to leave me a comment with questions.



17 comments:

  1. I love how the costume came out, really fun for him and something original. My kids are all grown up, so no costumes here.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE how it came out! And I think that is so cool that you took something that he wanted, designed it, and made it happen. What a lucky guy! I took inspiration from your blog post about the design process of Halloween costumes and included Oliver's and my sketches for his costume this year: http://ducklingsinarow.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/wishing-you-a-happy-halloween/
    We are already talking about what to be next year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you accomplished the wing effect, and I think they turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind words!

    Deia, I saw your blog post. The costumes were awesome and I loved the sketches! (I think I wrote you a comment, I hope it came through.) I am touched that my last Halloween post inspired yours, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow it turned out awesome, your sons are so lucky to have such a talented and ambitious mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This costume was AMAZING in person! There was so much detail involved. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing!!!!!! Nice job, I'm super impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much! I appreciate the kind comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across your blog - love this outfit - super clever

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son wants to be a falcon this year! Thank you for your great ideas! (I would be willing to pay $$$ for the old costume . . . or for you to make me one.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic costume! My little guy is obsessed with peregrine falcons and he too wants to be one for Halloween. Are you currently making this costume to sell? I could attempt this on my own, if I found my sewing machine power cord, but have no idea the amount of fabric. If you aren't selling would you share fabric measurements? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen and Beth, thank you for your enthusiastic comments. Unfortunately, I do not make costumes to sell. You can find out more info about the process of making this costume on my two previous posts here: http://stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com/2012/10/halloween-prep-peregrine-falcon.html and here: http://stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com/2012/10/whos-ready-for-halloween.html. Let me know if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any recollection of how many yards you used??

      Delete
    2. Jenna, if I remember correctly, I think I only got 1 yard of white, black and grey each, then just 1/4 yard of the yellow. I hope that helps. :)

      Delete
  13. Outstanding job, your blog was really helpful. My son is going to be a peregrine falcon this year, thanks to you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing!!! I am seriously impressed! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look like a falcon all right!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...