Monday, October 1, 2012

A Heart in the Pocket

Happy Monday!

So, remember how I mentioned we had a rough start of Kindergarten? While school itself has been awesome and super fun, the before- and after-school hours (in other words, the "at home" and "with family" hours) became a bit emotional and difficult around the one week mark. At drop-off in the morning, Ben wouldn't let me leave, burst into tears when the bell rang, and even tried to follow me home while his classmates filed into the classroom one day.

Angel, I took your advice and offered to make a little love token for Ben to keep in his pocket. This would be a symbol of how much I loved him and missed him while he was at school, and if he was ever sad, he could take it out and think of my giving him a hug and kisses. He LOVED the idea and we brainstormed what it should be together, settling on a felt heart filled with lavender.


Jenny: Felt Heart For Kindergarten


This was such a simple project! I got it done in about 45 minutes, while watching TV one evening. I used a sheet of red wool felt from Felt On The Fly (one of our lovely sponsors!). It is so luxurious, perfect for this type of gift. I cut out 2 heart shapes and pinned them together. I embroidered a running stitch about 3/4 of the way around the edge, then filled the heart with a little polyfill.


Jenny: Felt Heart For Kindergarten


I had some dry lavender in a pitcher in my kitchen. I cut a few buds, crumbled them between my fingers and stuffed a generous amount of lavender into the heart along with the polyfill. When the heart felt full (aw!), I finished the embroidery around the edge to close it. I then embroidered another outline in running stitch in a different color.

That evening when I went to bed, I left the heart on the couch next to the TV remote. Ben is often up before everyone else in the morning and is allowed to watch PBS cartoons until we're up. I knew he would find the heart first thing in the morning. When I woke up, I saw a beaming kiddo holding on tight to his little love token!


Jenny: Felt Heart For Kindergarten

Jenny: Felt Heart For Kindergarten


He proudly stuck the heart in his pocket before school that day, and we haven't had tears at drop-off ever since! (The meltdowns when he is exhausted after school, oh yes, those still happen.) I heard from the teacher that the heart was a big hit, with Ben proudly showing it off and some of his friends asking their own moms to make one.


Jenny: Felt Heart For Kindergarten

Jenny: Felt Heart For Kindergarten

Things have improved quite a bit over the last couple of weeks and now the heart resides in Ben's backpack. He no longer needs it in his pocket, but it is at school with him should he ever feel sad and need some comfort. If it works for him, it works for me!


How have you handled your kiddos' tough time with the return to school? Every child is different, so I'm sure different things work for each of them.

On a different note, how are you doing with organizing and getting the house and family schedule in shape? I will be back in a couple of days with some updates on my getting-my-act-together endeavors!

7 comments:

  1. Awe! He has your heart in his pocket:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son had a really hard time transitioning to kindergarten too, and I also made him something that he could keep with him at school -- we had picked some little black pebbles on a memorable family vacation, and he picked one of the rocks, and we all gave it a little bit of love. I made him a tiny pouch so he could wear it as a necklace and keep our love with him all day. I think it did help him to have it.

    Glad to hear that he's feeling better already. And this may not be encouraging, but our kindergarten teacher told us that it takes until about Halloween for everything to settle down and in, and we found it to be true for us as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story! Brings back memories for sure! My 'little boy' is now a senior in high school. Time sure does fly. The wool felt heart is a great way to handle the separation anxiety. Prepare yourself for possibly another round soon....it usually happens in October that the little ones start to realize that school is an everyday thing and that this is what their life is going to be like for a whole long length of time. Be sure to let them know when the next break is coming up. By 'break', I mean the next full day with you.

    Thanks for sharing your heartfelt story : )

    Janet, FeltOnTheFly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all the sweet comments and for sharing your own stories. It's comforting to know other moms (and kiddos) have gone through this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you heard of that book called The Kissing Hand!? So sweet! I love this little heart! I wonder if this will be similar to my little boy! I havent ruled homeschooling out though, because they are truly so young, but I am so glad that things are working out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...