Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Baby Baby!

Hi Angel!

I am briefly emerging from the Great Fog of Fall 2012 (what happens when you combine the new and overwhelming Kindergarten + preschool routine with a healthy dose of sleep deprivation courtesy of the toddler molars who refuse to appear...) to show you a few baby projects I've made recently.

These little bibs and burp cloths are nothing new. You probably remember that they're kind of my go-to gift to welcome new babes since they are easy and SO useful and convenient. I even made quite a few of those burp cloths while awaiting Henry's birth and we used them a TON in those early months.

But, what's fun to show here is the gorgeous new fabrics I got to play with!

First, some Simpatico! My friend Kate just had her little Ramona (I got to hold her for a while last week and think I might have to have another baby now, ahem). When I saw the awesome quilt Kate made, I thought the pink, grey and orange triangles of the modern Simpatico collection would be a perfect complement!


Jenny: Baby Gifts

Jenny: Baby Gifts

Jenny: Baby Gifts

Jenny: Baby Gifts

Jenny: Baby Gifts


Along with my handmade gifts, I like to throw in a little wooden toy or in this case a bamboo fork and spoon set. Angel, you gave such a set to Ben for his first birthday and they are still in rotation around here!

Up next was some Alegria by Geninne Zlatkis for Cloud9 Fabrics. I freakin' love this collection and the fact that it's organic. I've wanted to make baby gifts with it ever since I bought some from Drygoods Design months ago, but for the life of me, haven't been able to find organic terry cloth for the back of my bibs and burp cloths!! (If you know a good source, please share in the comments!) I finally gave up and used regular terry cloth. I think they turned out super cute!


Jenny: Baby Gifts

Jenny: Baby Gifts


And last but not least: Bella!! I bought a whole fat quarter bundle of this latest Lotta Jansdotter collection from Fat Quarter Shop as soon as it became available. The little bird prints are perfect for baby gifts and I love to mix and match them with the bolder, more modern designs. I made two sets of bibs (and ran out of snaps for the second one, woops! I guess now I'll have to pay a visit to my local fabric shop...).


Jenny: Baby Gifts

Jenny: Baby Gifts

Jenny: Baby Gifts


And that's about it for bibs! I have also been knitting up a storm, but sharing will have to wait a bit as my gifts make their way to their recipients...

Up next: I would really like to talk about organization -- both in the home and in the crafty/creative department. Anyone else feeling overwhelmed and discombobulated with the beginning of the school year? Angel, I requested Home Comforts from the library and it's waiting for me at the local branch right now! Are you still digging that book? So let's put on our thinking caps on and chat here next week, sounds good?


I'd love to hear from you in the comments! What do you think of using modern "non-baby" prints for baby gifts? What's your go-to baby gift? How are you handling the school routine so far?

3 comments:

  1. I love how you did those, nice and simple and great for charity projects.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO hear you about the struggles with organization during this K transition. (Although, it looks to me like you are having quite a productive Fog!) I keep thinking, as I smoosh together yet another PB&J sandwich at 6:50 a.m. while wearing dripping wet hair and the same clothes I had on yesterday, I just need BETTER SYSTEMS. I'll be very eager to hear about what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought some organic terry cloth on Etsy from "worthygoodstextile":
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/105745762/organic-cotton-terry-cloth-natural-fat

    Also, I cannot wait to be a grand-mother again, thank your friend from me for letting you hold her baby... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...