Wednesday, August 1, 2012

WIP: Milk and Cookie Table Runner

Hi Angel!

Well, I had grand plans for this year's Christmas in July, but life took over with a series of most unfortunate events -- family illness and injuries, toddler molars ruining sleep for everyone, and to top it all off, a car wreck.

Thank goodness everyone's okay (though the car isn't, but that's why we have insurance), but a week later I'm still a bit shaken and distracted by the whole thing, in particular the incessant calls to and from the insurance, the crash shop, and concerned family and friends. Mini-PSA: please check your blind spot, friends. Some guy didn't and cut me off on the highway (I-5!!), causing me to bump into the car to my left. It could have been much, much worse and I'm so grateful it wasn't.

Moving on... Aside from my little tree ornaments (tutorial here), the only thing I've been able to complete for Christmas in July is the first few steps in making a new table runner. I really liked John Adams' Milk and Cookie Mat design (free pattern download here) and decided to triple the basic patchwork shape and turn it into a Christmas runner!


Jenny: Milk and Cookie Table Runner

I decided to use red and grey for my colors, paired with some natural linen -- since I have a lot of that in stock! (It's funny, I realized after drawing it that my design looks a lot like Jane's beautiful table runner, though I promise I came up with the idea before seeing hers! Great minds...) Here are the prints I pulled from my stash: some Echo by Lotta Jansdotter, some Heath by Alexander Henry, some dots of various sizes, and more.


Jenny: Milk and Cookie Table Runner

The kids went to bed super early for once last night and I was able to cut all my fabric while watching TV with the hubby. Here's one of my trees:


Jenny: Milk and Cookie Table Runner

The whole project should hopefully be pretty straightforward from here on out. (Famous last words...) I hope to get some stitching done over the next couple of days, though I really should prioritize some custom work for my shop, ahem. In any case, I will share photos when it is done. Sorry it will be well past July by that point!


What did you end up making for Christmas in July? I hope you got some good inspiration from this series. You can view all the posts by clicking on the image below.

Don't forget to enter our last giveaway for a layer cake from Fat Quarter Shop and 2 holiday books from Lark Crafts here! It's open until Sunday August 5, midnight CST.


Stumbles & Stitches: Christmas in July 2012

9 comments:

  1. Once again, your fabric choices are inspired! I don't love red as a decorative color or even as a clothing color, but with gray it is quite nice. (Aren't all colors nicer with gray? ; ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy I found this blog through the One Stop Giveaway Shop! I'm a new follower and I just can't wait to have the time to sit and read through it ALL!

    Love your table runner design and the fabric choices are so inspiring, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA!! Great minds is right!! I love it! And I agree with Angel, your fabric choices are perfect, that red and gray combo is perfect. Now, I guess I have to decide whether I want to make myself a new table runner similar to the one I just made or a Christmas one similar to yours ;) And, I'm so glad to hear that everyone is safe and sound, car accidents, near car accidents and crazy drivers are so scary and can really shake you up for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for the kind comments!! I am excited to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great. And i am very impressed by your colour accurate and very neat drawing. My design scribbles obviously can do with some work - don't think they are photo worthy!!! Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Karen! I like drawing my sketches carefully because it allows me to think out the project before I actually tackle it, and see if it will create a realistic execution of the vision in my head. It's also really fun and satisfying to compare the finished project to the sketch, I love that part!

      Delete
  6. Oh no, Jenny! I am glad you are all ok after the accident. So scary. I hope the sewing helps, at least mentally. I love your fabric choices here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! It was scary and after a week of being quite depressed and gloomy over the whole thing, I'm starting to feel a bit better. I think the fact that I've been able to sew and stitch a little the last few days helps tremendously, you are right!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 5 post on Aug. 13, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...