Monday, August 27, 2012

Hello! And a Roll-Up Tote Bag Variation

Hi Angel!!!

Oh my goodness, what is it about the end of summer that makes it fly by in fast-forward?! We have been so busy the last few weeks and I'm sorry I've been a bit MIA. It's not for lack of projects, I've gotten a lot done recently and can't wait to share soon-ish (some are custom projects, some are gifts that must reach their recipients first...).

We just returned from an awesome weekend camping on Whidbey Island. The weather was perfect and it was simply amazing. Our little family had a blast. (I'll share a few pics at the end of this post.) Meanwhile I've also been completely engulfed in the Hunger Games trilogy. Wow. I'm in the middle of the second book right now and finally get what everyone's been talking about! And, the third thing that's been keeping me busy: trying to make the most of the last few days of summer before my big boy starts Kindergarten next week. Eek!!

Today is Kevin's birthday so the boys and I are headed downtown in a short while to surprise him for lunch! Yay for friends who think to organize this kind of thing so I don't have to, ahem. Before I go offline, I thought I would share a gift I made for my mom's birthday last month: a roll-up tote bag with a closure variation. (You can see the tutorial for this popular project here.)


Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag with Snaps

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag with Snaps


Instead of sewing the handles out of fabric and using elastic for the loop closure as instructed in my original tutorial, I purchased cotton twill tape in 2 widths. I used the wide one (1.25 inch) for the handles, and 2 short lengths of the narrow one (0.5 inch) for the loop closure. With my handy snap pliers, I put on snaps on the ends of the 2 pieces. Alternately, you could also use 3/4 inch twill tape with some 1/2 inch velcro!


Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag with Snaps

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag with Snaps

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag with Snaps


I love this Boho Ikat fabric! I still have a large piece of it in the other color way with which to make my "Inspired by Nature" tote bag! When am I going to get around to that project?...

That's it for me today! I shall return soon with recently completed projects... Meanwhile, here are a few photos of our awesome camping trip to Whidbey:


Whidbey Camping Trip

Whidbey Camping Trip

Whidbey Camping Trip

Whidbey Camping Trip

Whidbey Camping Trip

Whidbey Camping Trip


How was your weekend? What projects are you working on these days? Anyone else have a baby headed to Kindergarten this fall?

4 comments:

  1. Looks like your camping trip was a success! We didn't make it to Whidbey on our big trip and now I am kicking myself for not insisting on it!

    Good luck on your foray into Kindergarten parenting. It really is fun and so amazing to watch them grow and learn. Do you have any Back to School projects that you are doing (in all your free time)? I wanted to do something for the boys this year (lunch bag? napkins?) but its not looking like I'll be able to whip anything up in time. Maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deia! There are SO many amazing places to visit in Washington and the PNW, I think you did pretty well on your awesome camping trip!! You should definitely plan on Whidbey Island (and Seattle!!) next time though. So beautiful.

      I am not ready for Kindergarten, aaaah!!! Though I know Ben is going to love it! My creative/sewing schedule is jam-packed through mid-September at least, so I will have no time to make anything for Ben's back-to-school adventure unfortunately. I also didn't have time to make anything for his birthday or Kevin's. I guess I should be happy I'm busy with work projects. Something always has to give, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 1 post on Aug. 28, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...