Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Clarisse's Wedding Quilt

Hello friend,

How are you? I hope you're enjoying being back to the routine of the school year. Another three weeks for us here before Ben starts KINDERGARTEN! I'm so excited and nervous -- just like he is. I am going to miss him so much, but he loves school and I know he will enjoy it tremendously.

Before our Christmas in July series, I teased about being done with the Wedding Quilt for my cousin Clarisse and her new husband. Here, finally, are photos of the finished quilt!


Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!
Photo by the 5-year-old


Let's hear it for a finished (massive) project! Yay!

I decided to attach the binding with the machine, rather than by hand, and it worked out great. I have found those little hair clips to come in very handy with this process. I just go veeeeery slowly and check the underside of the quilt compulsively to make sure the binding is caught.


Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!


I forget if I talked about the quilting: I just stitched straight lines 1/4 inch to the side of each major seam between blocks. The result is simply checkered. I basted the heck of that thing but still ended with a lot of puckering. I think it is time I invested in a walking foot...

For the back, I pieced a bunch of my leftover rectangles into a row, added some of the wedding fabric to one side, and a large piece of the plain aqua to the other.


Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Here it is all done before washing:


Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!


And here it is fresh out of the dryer:


Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!


I'm so glad that the embroidery held up quite well in the wash!


Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!


The quilt finally made it to France and into the home of Clarisse and Emeric, just in time for their first wedding anniversary. (I read recently you have one year to offer a gift to newlyweds, so whew! Just made it!)

And check out who joined them just a few weeks later:


Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!

Jenny: Finished Wedding Quilt!


Congratulations to the new parents -- and yay for a quilt that not only provides coziness for their beautiful baby girl, but also totally matches their new couch!!

This was definitely a labor of love, but I am so glad I made this quilt and documented the process. Great experience! And it makes my heart happy to know my dear cousin and her little family can enjoy my handiwork in their home.


If you're interested, you can check out the previous posts about this quilt here:
- Inspiration
- Work in Progress
- More Progress
- Almost There

Have you made a wedding quilt before? Did it take you a year like me?! Have you tried out Kathy's Block (from Gwen Marston's book Liberated Quiltmaking II) before? I'd love to hear from you in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous quilt! Congrats on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! I love blues and brown together but usually they don't turn out as pretty as yours!! The embroidery is so cool, what a great gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt, love the way you designed it and the colors you used.
    The new addition looks so adorable on it, congratulations to the new parents.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful! What a lucky family to receive it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, the embroidery is just wonderful. What a sweet baby! They are so lucky to have this, it will be treasured for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing! I love those colors, and the embroidery is fantastic! And, of course a new little baby makes it all the more beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty.... Congratulations are in order for you completing the quilt so timely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Amazing work, Jenny! The pinwheel effect is so happy--so appropriate for a wedding quilt. And yet the colors are perfectly grown-up.

    And for the record, I think one year is a totally reasonable time frame for making a quilt. (I cannot believe all those bloggers out there who seem to make 12 quilts a year--at least. But I suspect it is much closer to being their full-time job!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for the kind comments. I am very touched and am so glad you guys like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful piece of functional art. I love the colors & whimsical pinwheels. What a treasure for your sister & family to have when so far away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...