Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Little Basket of Napkins

Hi Angel!

Thank you for your sweet post over the weekend, I'm glad you liked your little surprise in the mail. We had a fun time camping, despite the awful weather (I know most of the country is experiencing crazy and dangerous heat waves at the moment, but I'm sick of our March weather!).

The weekend before last, our neighbors across the street had a housewarming party. They've been remodeling their home for the best part of the past year and wanted to celebrate and show everyone the results. It is beautiful!

I wanted to make them a little something to welcome them back to the neighborhood, so I brought them a little basket of handmade napkins.


Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming

Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming


Since their house was freshly painted a nice slate grey with an aqua door, I went searching for this combo of colors at Drygoods Design. Keli wisely suggested Rashida's Washi collection. These two are my favorite prints from the collection.


neighbors house

Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming


This is a super easy project. There is a similar and slightly fancier version in Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing book where she uses two contrasting fat quarters and hand-sews the opening.

My version is 18 x 18 inches, in other words not a full fat quarter and slightly small for napkins, more like a lunch or picnic napkin. I made the napkins reversible with grey on one side and aqua on the other. I went the easy route for finishing: I top-stitched 1/8 inch from the edge to close the gap.

Here are a few photos of the process:


Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming

Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming


I also top-stitched 1 inch from the edge for embellishment. I used a little trick that worked better than marking the lines in pencil, in my opinion: I put down washi tape 1 inch from my needle on 3 sides. This helped me start and stop in the proper place when top-stitching 1 inch from the edge!


Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming

Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming


I think these turned out pretty cute. If our neighbors are anything like we are, cloth napkins should come in quite handy. We use them constantly!

The idea for the berry basket packaging came from these adorable blueberry print napkins I found on Etsy. I love the idea! How perfect for a summery gift!


Jenny: Basket of Napkins for Housewarming

Jenny: Napkin basket for housewarming


I have a pile of fabric waiting to be made into MORE napkins for various wedding gifts... I like to throw in something handmade along with a check and/or a gift from the couple's registry, and these should be perfect.


More fabric for napkins


What are you up to these summer days? What are your favorite go-to gifts for house warmings or weddings?

5 comments:

  1. I love the tip you share with the tape on your sewing machine. This is truly AWESOME to this fellow sewer! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm off to tell my fans on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! What a great tip with the washi tape! I'm guessing it peels off cleanly without residue? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look terrific. Great tip with the washi tape. Could be done with painters tape - no residue with that. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are lovely, the 1" top stiching and the packaging really makes them. I so need some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the compliments. The washi tape I used is from Lotta Jansdotter's shop, I love it! It was just thin enough to stay out of the way of the little container drawer and the seam measurements on the metal plate on my sewing machine. And yes indeed: no residue. I think if you used the thin painter's tape, it would work just the same!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...