Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What I Made For The Quilt Blocks Shop Challenge

Hi Angel!

I hope you're having a good week so far. I miss you! It's hard to believe that less than a week ago, we all spent such an awesome day together. I'm now back to the routine in Seattle, with preschool, laundry, appointments, etc. It's been so busy and the weather has been disgusting. The HEAT came on 2 mornings this week! I kid you not. Brrrrrrrrrr.

The day we visited you last week was the deadline for the Quilt Blocks Shop Challenge organized by Ellen Luckett Baker of The Long Thread. In a nutshell: make things for your shop with Ellen's Quilt Blocks fabric collection, she will pick 3 favorite contestants, feature them on her blog and host their ad in her sidebar for 3 months. Pretty cool! Since I was planning on making things with her collection anyway, I got to work!


Wonky Stripe Table Runner by Jenny Bartoy

Quilted Star Pillow Covers by Jenny Bartoy


You know me, I can't ever do things half-way, so I put together a collection of SIX "quilt block" pillows using the Quilt Blocks fabric, as well as one table runner. I juxtaposed Ellen's modern fabrics with natural linen (I guess that's my "signature" combo by now).

I scrambled to finish everything and take photos before we left on our trip to Nashville. Then I forgot to submit photos to the challenge Flickr pool until the very last second! I entered the challenge in the last few minutes of May 31, after we got home from spending that day with your family! But, it turns out Ellen had forgotten about her own challenge too and she extended the deadline to June 11 (so I might have time to make a few more things, ha!). So if you want to enter the challenge, there is still time! (And yes! That is my pillow in Ellen's blog post, whee!)

Here are photos of the projects I made and entered in the challenge. You can see more picson Flickr, and I'm starting to list them in my shop. What do you think??


3 Flying Geese pillow covers, one in each color way (blue, yellow and grey). I love the simple yet versatile print with the tiny flying geese! This was my first time ever making flying geese quilt blocks. I am really happy with how the pillows turned out! I used Kona solids in Corn Yellow and Deep Blue. The solid grey is Nugray in Free Spirit Solids. The linen is 100% natural linen (from Jo-Ann's, I think).


Flying Geese Pillow Cover by Jenny Bartoy

Flying Geese Pillow Cover in Blue by Jenny Bartoy

Flying Geese Pillow Cover in Grey by Jenny Bartoy

Flying Geese Pillow Cover in Yellow by Jenny Bartoy

Flying Geese Pillow Cover in Blue by Jenny Bartoy

Flying Geese Pillow Cover in Yellow by Jenny Bartoy



3 Quilted Star pillow covers, one in each color way (blue/green, pink/yellow, grey/lavender). For these, I used a charm pack of Quilt Blocks (purchased from our sponsor Fat Quarter Shop!) which I sorted by color scheme. They were perfect to make the star blocks, using the basic process I learned in Pretty in Patchwork: Doll Quilts -- remember my Maverick Star Pillow?

Quilted Star Pillow Cover in Pink and Yellow by Jenny Bartoy

Quilted Star Pillow Cover in Grey and Lavender by Jenny Bartoy

Quilted Star Pillow Cover in Blue and Green by Jenny Bartoy

Collection of Pillow Covers by Jenny Bartoy



The Table Runner is made with two of my favorite prints from the Quilt Blocks collection: Stars in Fuchsia and Wedding Rings in Chartreuse. The pattern is my own Wonky Stripe design (which has become quite popular in my shop!). The colors are so summery, I love how bright and modern it turned out. My neighbor had just brought over some fresh rhododendrons the previous day, the exact same shade of fuchsia!

Wonky Stripe Table Runner by Jenny Bartoy

Wonky Stripe Table Runner by Jenny Bartoy

Wonky Stripe Table Runner by Jenny Bartoy

Wonky Stripe Table Runner by Jenny Bartoy


Overall I am quite happy with these projects but I'm a little nervous -- I hope Ellen likes them! I have ideas for several additional things to make for my shop with the Quilt Blocks fabric, but we'll see if I have time, ahem. I have so much on the to do-list for the next couple of months: custom orders, a wedding quilt, baby and wedding gifts, aprons for Craft Hope (they extended the deadline to end of June!), projects for book reviews and guest posts, AAAHH!!!

Meanwhile my kids are demanding an ever increasing amount of attention. Henry won't sit still for more than 5 seconds, and when he's finally taking a nap, Ben is wide awake, talking nonstop and wanting to work on all kinds of crazy projects. I adore my kids, and love their curiosity and vivid imagination, but it gets a little challenging sometimes when I am wanting to give attention to my own projects. (To give you an idea: Ben has interrupted me about 2,000 times while I wrote this post, "Mommy I want to dye something", "how can I make a spell appear?, "Mommy, can I make a carwash for my cars?"... I should have been done writing this at least an hour ago!). It's always interesting to see what will get knocked off the to-do list and what will linger on there due to other (chatty and rambunctious) priorities! ;)

Are you entering the Quilt Blocks Shop Challenge? I'd love to see what you're making! How do you balance your kids' need for attention and your own need for crafty productivity? Please share in the comments -- I'd love to hear your ideas (and commiseration!)

8 comments:

  1. flying geese out of flying geese! i love it :) and the stars are amazing! and, yes, so is the table runner... ok, i love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, these are all beautiful!!!! And, I have yet to get my hands on anything more than one fat quarter of Quilt Blocks...guess I should cash in my winnings! ;) And, I totally feel you on that chatty cathy kid!! Love em, but man, they really know how to talk, especially when you are focussed on something else!! Oh, and maybe it's something with Henry's mine never stops either, ever since he was born, always going!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. Um, you haven't cashed in your winnings yet? I would have spent it all by now, ha ha! Can't wait to see what you get and what you make!

      Maybe it is something with Henrys indeed! Mine is a little fireball, especially compared with his older brother who was always able to stay put and focus from a young age. Definitely a challenge!!

      Delete
    2. Oh I've had stuff in my cart just haven't pushed go!!! I need too!! :) it's so hard to decide!

      Delete
  3. Jenny, I love the flying geese pillows! All three designs are gorgeous, but the combo of fabric and design in those are just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, can you believe this time last week, you were here! Just about to eat lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Love how the linen looks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...