Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Turkish Embroidery

Hi Angel!

I loved your beautiful garden photos yesterday. So many gorgeous flowers! You inspired me and I took my camera with me on the way to preschool pick-up today. More on that later this week...

Today I wanted to show you the book I scored at the thrift store a couple of weeks ago: Turkish Embroidery by Gulseren Ramazanoglu.


Turkish Embroidery

Turkish Embroidery


The pictures and patterns are all black and white, aside from a few oh-so-seventies photos in the middle. But the designs are so beautiful! I am totally inspired to start a new embroidery project, or even paint the patterns on furniture or something.


Turkish Embroidery

Turkish Embroidery

Turkish Embroidery


The visual instructions are a bit murky in the black and white photos, but still clear enough that I might try out some new techniques! I am so excited to have found this little gem, I've wanted to have this style of design and patterns handy and now I do. There's something both classic and modern in them, you know? There's been such a wave of international and ethnic motifs in design these last few years, maybe that's what drew me to the book. I don't know, but I am psyched!


Turkish Embroidery

Turkish Embroidery


I looked up the publisher to see if we could share a few patterns from the book for a stitch-along but no luck. The book was published in 1976 by Van Nostrand Reinhold, a publishing company that seems to have been acquired by John Wiley and Sons back in the 1990's. However the book doesn't show up when browsing the Wiley catalog. Hmmm. I am going to investigate the matter a bit further and will keep you posted!


Turkish Embroidery

Turkish Embroidery


What do you think of my thrift store find? What inspires you in the photos above? What would you embroider with these designs -- clothing, table linens, something else? I'd love to hear your ideas!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! What type of materials are typical in this type of embroidery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angel, most of the projects seem to be on plain linen and cotton. There is some texture to the material, which I really like. The fancy dresses seem to be silk. A lot of the embroidery involves gold thread! I can't wait to spend a bit of time reading it in more detail.

      Delete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...