Monday, June 25, 2012

Teacher Appreciation: Pleated Pouches

Hi Angel!

How's your Monday going? We're getting ready for a camping trip pretty soon so I took the kids to Target this morning to stock up on a few things. Ugh... I tried to be strategic about it: got them a snack AND a juice box (woohoo!) as we arrived, sat them in the humongous and impossible-to-maneuver kid cart that they love, and tried to follow my list as efficiently as possible. But it still took us an hour and a half to get out of there, by which point the kids were having a screaming and hitting match. Fun stuff.

Anyway...

Last Thursday was Ben's last day of preschool. He loved his pre-K program so much, made some great friends and had a lovely teacher. She, along with several assistants and other teachers, took great care of him over the last year and a half. Before we left for the summer and Kindergarten, I wanted to show some appreciation with a little gift.


Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation
My big boy getting ready for his last day!


I've done gift cards in the past but opted for something a bit more personal and handmade this time. I decided that everyone can use a nice zipper pouch -- to store jewelry, make-up, pens, papers, money... I had had an idea for a simple pleated pouch for a while, and went for it. I think they turned out pretty well! What do you think?


Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation


I especially love the one with the Grand Bazaar tile print (Ben chose that one for his pre-K teacher, Ms. Alex!) and the one with the Wee Woodland mushroom fabric you gave me! You also can't go wrong with Lotta... or with Denyse... or with Joel. I guess I picked all fabrics I liked a lot. ;)

I used natural linen for the top and for the zipper ends. Flossie Teacakes does a great job explaining zipper ends in this pouch tutorial. I should have read this carefully when it came time to do mine. I must have sewn my zipper ends the wrong way somehow since they're all puckered in the corners. Oh well, they still look pretty cute! And I do love having finished and top-stitched zippers on a pouch.

Speaking of tutorials, I took a bunch of pics while making these pleated pouches and am happy to write a how-to post if anyone's interested -- just let me know in the comments! (I'll try to figure out the zipper end thing before then!)

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation

Jenny: Pleated Pouches for Teacher Appreciation


We used hand stamped thank you cards we had made after Christmas (we forgot to send most of them, ahem). Ben wrote "Thank you! Love, Ben" in each and I added a little note of gratitude. It was very bittersweet! I also added a bar of local chocolate to each gift. I hope the lovely preschool ladies felt appreciated, we sure will miss them!!

What did you do for teacher appreciation this year? Did you go the gift-card, store-bought or handmade route?


20 comments:

  1. Wow, I wish I was one of your son's teachers! Those bags are wonderful. :) I would love to see a tutorial for how to make them (and zippers scare me, so this would be an adventure!), if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes!! they are beautiful!! If you make a tutorial, I might already know what I'm making next year!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see a tutorial for that wee case. I usually make russian fudge and pack it into cellophane bags for teacher thank-you's. I have 6 to do for one child and 2 for the other. Youngest has a few different teacher aides who work with him which is why there are so many for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love those bags!
    Toni
    www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. love these! we do photo collages of pictures from the kids' classes--always a hit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all very much! I will work on a tutorial, to be published next month probably -- I'll keep you all updated. It'll definitely be up in time for the next round of teacher appreciation gifts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabrics you picked! I think the key thing with the zipper ends if you use tabs like that is that you make the ends of the tabs short enough that you don't actually sew over them (easier said than done) - I think Anna from noodlehead's pouch tutorial does a good job explaining/showing it if you are looking for another place to get instructions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks Kate! I'll go look it up. I actually double-sewed over the tab ends b/c the linen was unraveling when I turned the first one inside out. Hmm. I thought I had "angled" them the wrong way (i.e. toward the outer fabric, rather than toward the lining along with the zipper fabric if that makes sense).

      How's "summer" in Portland treating you? I'm SO over this weather.

      Delete
  8. Jen, I know there are tons of zipper pouches out there, I see them all the time on Etsy. But somehow, you still make yours stand out. They are just "you"! I love this version, the pleats are so lovely. And the fabrics you chose are amazing as always. xo (I'd say I'd love a tutorial, but I can't sew well enough to make one of these!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute , please do a tutorial. They would make great last minute gifts for Christmas .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much! I'm very touched by all your kind comments. Will definitely work on a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look fantastic Jenny. Yes a tutorial please. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these ~ wonderful fabric choices, too! And yes, please...tutorials are very nice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much Karen and Paula! Glad you like my little pouches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are gorgeous! The fabrics are all perfect. and YAY for Theo chocolate. It's my absolute favorite. I'm from Oregon, but live near DC now. Next time I am in Seattle I am definitely checking out the Theo shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara!

      Theo chocolate is pretty awesome. I love all the different combos they come up with -- and the fact that the ingredients are organic and produced ethically. There's a new (to me) fig & fennel bar I gave Angel for her birthday, it looks quite intriguing!

      Delete
  15. I really like your pouches! A tutorial with sizes would be just great! Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...