Friday, June 15, 2012

Inspired by Nature: Urban Wildflowers

Hi Angel!

Your beautiful backyard post inspired me to stash the camera in my big mama purse on the way to preschool pick-up this week. I had been obsessing over a patch of wildflowers at a particular neighborhood intersection through which we walk nearly daily, and finally captured it!


Jenny: Urban Wildflowers


I wasn't kidding when I mentioned that wildflowers adorn the roundabouts in my neighborhood. Most of the houses have been here for well over a century and, come Spring, there are flowers everywhere!

Many yards are carefully manicured, but a good portion also feature gardens (and chickens!) or wonderful assortments of wildflowers that have probably come and gone for years and happily spread out onto the sidewalk grass patches -- and the roundabouts! I love being bombarded by color when we walk through the neighborhood.


Jenny: Urban Wildflowers

Jenny: Urban Wildflowers



This particular patch I love features wildflowers in blues, purples and oranges, with a little white and a dash of pink thrown in. I don't know what any of these flowers are and how planned their existence was, but I LOVE the combination of color. I would have never thought to put them together. (There's also a bunch of gorgeous pink foxgloves (??) growing by the picket fence just across the sidewalk).


Jenny: Urban Wildflowers

Jenny: Urban Wildflowers

Jenny: Urban Wildflowers


This little patch of flowers and its color combo have been on my mind a lot the past couple of weeks. I finally sketched them from memory this morning while Ben was at his speech therapy appointment (his last one! Yay!). Sketching from memory is interesting, I realized I remembered the layering of colors and luminosity very precisely. However, the details of the petals, stem and actual shape of the flowers, not so much!


Jenny: Urban Wildflowers


Inspired by these colors and putting pencil to paper, I went browsing through my fabric stash to see what I could make to replicate the color combo. That's when I found the gorgeous Ikat fabric from the Boho collection by Annette Tatum. I purchased it from our sponsor Drygoods Design months ago and it has stayed quietly folded away all this time, awaiting the perfect project.


Jenny: Urban Wildflowers

Jenny: Urban Wildflowers

Jenny: Urban Wildflowers


I believe I will be making a large summer tote. I have been wanting to include jute upholstery tape in a bag project for some time, and will try to incorporate it. I'll keep you posted!!


Jenny: Urban Wildflowers


This post is part of our new Inspired by Nature series.

Stumbles & Stitches: Inspired by Nature


What kind of nature surrounds you? What is inspiring you this weekend? Do you know what any of these street corner flowers are? I'd love to know!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, hey, I know this!

    The blue/purple spiky thing is lupin and the orange is California poppy. The blue round one is cornflower (bachelor's button).

    So cool to see that palette reflected in the fabric! I absolutely LOVE the jute tape with it and can't wait to see how the tote turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks Sarah! I thought the orange ones looked like poppies, funny! It's great to know what they are.

      I am really excited about the tote bag idea. I have so much on the to-do list ahead of it though, hopefully I can get it made before summer is over, ha!

      By the way, I just found your blog via your profile and it is great. So nice to "meet" a fellow Seattleite! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...