Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Recent Custom Projects

Man, I'm so creative with post titles sometimes, ha ha! Sorry I couldn't come up with anything more clever. I did, however, want to show you a few custom projects I recently finished. I posted about them in more detail on my website, but here is a little overview.

For the anniversary of her friend Ann's sister's death, my wonderful and loyal customer Alli asked me to make a custom piece to commemorate that sad event. It was an emotional process, but I love the upcycled burlap art piece that resulted.

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

[More photos and details here.]


A friend of mine from grad school recently moved back to New York and asked me to make a cloth pad for the antique desk in the studio she's renting. She requested Marimekko fabric and we selected a bold red print. It was such fun (and a bit nerve-wracking) to work with this beautiful fabric.

With each new binding project, I improve my skills and the mitered corners are near perfect on this one. I was really pleased with the result. It's so striking, it could be hung as wall art, don't you think? I kind of want one for the huge white wall in our stairway.

Jenny: Desk Pad for Paavani

Jenny: Desk Pad for Paavani

Jenny: Desk Pad for Paavani

Jenny: Desk Pad for Paavani

[More photos and details here.]


The most recent e-reader cover I made was for a lovely lady named Lindsey who showed extreme patience while I dealt with sewing machine troubles (and an exchange for a brand new one!). To thank her for her graciousness, I made her a matching little zipper pouch.

Jenny: Owl Kindle Cover and Pouch

Jenny: Owl Kindle Cover and Pouch

Jenny: Owl Kindle Cover and Pouch

[More photos and details here.]


I love custom orders! They are challenging and push me to think out of my usual creative box. However, it's time to focus on making things for my shop on Etsy which has been pretty quiet for the last couple of months! I'll share some works in progress very soon!!

If you feel so inclined, please visit my website/blog Jenny Bartoy ~ Handmade Designs or "like" me on Facebook. I'd love to make some new friends!

And if you haven't yet, go enter our giveaway for the Stash Happy book trio along with some fabric and felt here, part of the wonderful Giveaway Day on Sew Mama Sew!

3 comments:

  1. All three are gorgeous. I didn't realize the burlap piece was to commemorate a death, what a touching and special project to work on. The soft pink you chose for the tree complements the white dove and simple design perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angel! The burlap piece was definitely an emotional project. I really love how it turned out!

      Delete
  2. Genius using fabric corners to hold the e-reader! I've just made one and wrestled for ages to sew elastic on each corner to hold mine. Next time I will try your method! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...