Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pillows, Pillows

Hi Angel!

I am getting SO excited about our upcoming trip to Nashville in a few weeks. Can't wait to see you, Lee and the kids, and meet the chickies!!

Spring finally seems here to stay in Seattle (I always fear I'm going to jinx it by saying this kind of thing...). We've had a lot of sunshine and temps above 60F the last couple of weeks. The forecast for this weekend is all sun and 70s!! I am GIDDY!

The arrival of the nice weather coincided with the tail end of Feather Your Nest and I've been spending a lot of time outside with the kids instead of showing you the last of the projects I worked on in April. Oops! Here are some pillows I knocked off my to-do list.


Jenny: Pillows, Pillows


I made two envelope-back pillow covers to complement the new duvet cover in our bedroom. I purchased this two-tone greyish brown cover from Ikea. After loving our old cover for many years, I was tired of the color scheme and wanted to shift to neutrals and blue. The duvet cover and new pillows work really well with the burlap art on the wall, don't you think? I'm pretty happy with the overall look (and sorry for the wrinkles, I just can't be bothered to iron bedding -- who's with me?).


Jenny: Pillows, Pillows


Jenny: Pillows, Pillows


I am a little annoyed at the corners. They look totally whacked out and devilish, despite the fact that I tapered the corners for that "perfect corner" effect. There are great tutorials for perfect pillow corners out there, for example on Sew Daily or Dixie Mango.

I am going to have to revisit these pillows and fix that. I found some tips and tricks to fix protruding corners here. I think it might have to do with the pillow inserts I used, they're the cheap polyfill kind, they're probably just too shapeless and lumpy. For now, it'll do. I LOVE the fabric -- it's Cottage Silhouette in Blue, purchased from Drygoods Design.


Jenny: Pillows, Pillows

Jenny: Pillows, Pillows


While I was making pillow covers, I also cut fabric for a lumbar support pillow for our living room. I've been trying to focus our living room colors on blues, greys and yellows. I love this geometric home dec print, also from our sponsor Drygoods Design (Keli just buys the best modern fabrics!). It's called Diamonds in Yellow and Grey, by Premier Prints and it has a lovely grainy texture. I think it provides a nice contrast to that softer yellow print from Spoonflower.


Jenny: Pillows, Pillows

Jenny: Pillows, Pillows


As you can see, the pillow is right at home with the Playmobils. My kids LOVE pillows, the more the merrier. They're involved in fort-building, pretend-trampoline-jumping, cozy-bed-making and more shenanigans on a daily basis.


Jenny: Pillows, Pillows

Jenny: Pillows, Pillows


Another simple envelope back here. This will make for easy washing, and it was a nice break from installing invisible zippers. I love the easy tutorial Melanie of A Sewing Journal shared with us recently. And the tapered corners turned out great on this one.

That rounds up my Feather Your Next projects! While I was browsing the photos on my computer, I found some recent ones of my kiddos, here they are.

Henry is 17 months now, so sweet and full of mischief. He can say so many words now! Ben will be 5 in July, I can't believe it! He's been going to soccer games with his dad, and loving to show off his fan spirit! Kevin tattooed his face before the last game (those all came off, thank goodness). That last picture is the boys cuddling one early morning in front of The Muppets movie which has become a big favorite in our household, have you seen it?


Henry

Ben

muppets


All right, I'm off to the playground with Henry! It's sunny and we're going to enjoy it before picking Ben up at preschool. I hope you're enjoying your day!

Dear readers, do you have tips for those wonky pillow corners of mine? I'm not sure how the perfect corner thing backfired. If you made some things for Feather Your Nest but didn't finish in time for the contest deadline, please still share with us! You can add your pics to the Flickr pool here, we'd love to see.

3 comments:

  1. I love those fabrics, and those love birds above the bed!! And, your Henry, at 17months looks almost as big as my Henry who will be two in two weeks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you are coming to Nasville!!! Hope you love our wonderful city. Your pillows are great and little one is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about the blue flower fabric, from the shade of blue to the scale to the shape of the flowers. I want some for myself but am not sure what I'd use it for! (Of course when has that ever stopped me?) I love the yellow you're using in the living room, one of my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...