Tuesday, April 17, 2012

His + Hers Bulletin Boards

Hi Angel!

I'm so excited, I have already knocked a couple of things off my Feather Your Nest to-do list! To be fair, they were some of the smaller, simpler projects. But still! I thought I would show you the first project I completed. I'll save the other one for a bit later this week, since I'm hoping to turn it into a tutorial... Stay tuned!

This is something I've wanted to do for ages: His and Hers Bulletin Boards!

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Our apartment is small, we only have one desk and it is usually consumed by paperwork, craft books, schedules, to-do lists, kid drawings, toys, board books, coffee mugs, sippy cups, AAAAAAH! You know how it is.

My poor husband doesn't really have a space for his own stuff and is constantly asking "what did you do with [insert card / bill / form / etc]?". I got him his own file holders recently and that helps, but I wanted something specifically HIS on which to pin important tidbits. Our main bulletin board has photos on it, so while I was at it, I decided I wanted a space to pin my own important reminders too. Thus came the idea for His and Hers Bulletin Boards!

I had some cork boards gathering dust in a cabinet and decided to cover them up with some personalized fabric. I went with our first name initials to differentiate the two boards: J and K.

Here's a little run-down of my process in pictures.

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

I started by applique-ing some fabric letters on linen, but the stitches around the fabric looked crappy. I changed my mind and went with felt and COLOR. I used some gorgeous 100% wool felt from Felt On The Fly (thank you Janet for the wonderful samples!).

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

I decided to blanket-stitch around the letters but had a hell of a time finding my way. I get all turned around with this stitch, for some reason. Since my J didn't look so great, I used a running stitch on the K. It's kind of fun to have them look a little different.

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

I ironed my linen nice and crisp with some starch spray, being careful not to press my felt and stitches. Then out came the glue gun to cover the cork boards with the fabric. I just glued opposite edges down, then neatly folded the other two sides and glued them down as well. Done! I used poster board velcro stickers to attach them to the wall.

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

It took just a couple of hours to get the whole project done after I decided to nix the fabric applique. And it only took that long because I'm sloooooow at embroidery. EASY project, and I'm so happy with the very practical result.

Here is a picture of my little desk corner. That's where I sit when I write you emails and put together these little blog updates! I shoveled all the crap off of my desk to take this photo just for you! I hope you feel special, ha ha!

Jenny: His and Hers Bulletin Boards

What do you think of this little project? It's nothing fancy, but it's going to get a lot of use! How are your Feather Your Nest projects coming along? I can't wait to see!!

Feather Your Nest is a month-long series here on Stumbles & Stitches focused on making things for our own homes. Along with featuring patterns, projects and guest posts, we're also having a sew/stitch-along and contest with amazing prizes! Make something for your own nest and get a chance to win. Check out all the details and sign up HERE. Sign-up deadline is April 22, entries must be submitted by April 29. We'd love to have you join us!




3 comments:

  1. Great his and hers bulletin boards and your office area is just lovely! Thanks for sharing.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Kristin! I am glad you liked this project. Sometimes the simplest stuff is the most useful -- and this is definitely one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! If only I could get my husband to be even the slightest bit organised, I could make a couple of these. I do have to be careful with initialled stuff though as mine is W and his is C!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...