Monday, April 16, 2012

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell of Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Happy Monday! We're so excited to launch our Featured Nest series today. As part of Feather Your Nest, some inspiring bloggers, designers and artists are inviting us into their homes for a little tour. We've asked them to share photos and thoughts of what "handmade" and "re-purposed" means to them at home.

First up is lovely Maureen Cracknell! We're huge fans of her blog Maureen Cracknell Handmade, always brimming with colorful and crisp projects and photos. Maureen is incredibly talented, boldly creative and the sweetest person ever. We're thrilled to welcome her here today. You can find her on Etsy, Pinterest and Facebook. And please check the end of this post for an *awesome* giveaway!


* * *


Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Right away when I began sewing in March of 2010, I started by making pillows. Lots and lots of pillows! Besides the kitchen and the bathrooms, every room in our house has at least one handmade pillow. I have been lucky to have my own work studio from the very beginning, which is always bursting with both supplies and my handmade items, but I realized quickly the importance of having my handmade items scattered throughout our house. More than anything, it just makes me feel good. I can see the things I make being used and how they add something unique and creative to each room, and I find it very inspiring.

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Now, in addition to all those pillows, I've made quilts that I have folded for use in our living rooms, curtains for the windows, bunting that hangs in the doorways and in front of windows, aprons and tea towels for our kitchen, garland for our fireplace mantel, and more recently mini quilts and sewing machine sketches that I hang as artwork around our house.

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

My family and I have lived in several houses and no matter where we were, I've always tried my best to love our house. One of the best ways I can show this is by frequently making things for it. I hope people can see the love that goes into those pillows and curtains and quilts and garland. I love my family, so when I make things for them I am definitely trying to express that love in my work for them. For as long as I can remember, I think I've expressed and explained my feelings through being creative. It comes very naturally for me, and I feel very lucky for that!

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

All photos in this post copyright Maureen Cracknell


* * *

Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts and photos with us, Maureen! Making things for your home to show your love for your family really resonates with Angel and me. It's such an emotional and wonderful process, and the reminders live around you every day.

Dear readers, don't you love Maureen's handmade home? One of my favorite Maureen Cracknell Handmade creations is the adorable birdie applique pillow she recently created:

Featured Nest: Maureen Cracknell Handmade

And guess what, Maureen is giving away another, brand new bird pillow today. Take a look:

Bird Pillow Giveaway by Maureen Cracknell

Bird Pillow Giveaway by Maureen Cracknell

Isn't it beautiful?! You can see all the details and enter here. Go throw your name in the hat!

To all of you joining us for Feather Your Nest, a huge welcome!! We're so glad you're here. We hope you'll stick around, browse for a bit and subscribe. We love to hear from you in the comments or by email. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Pinterest (Angel/Jenny). Looking forward to getting to know you all. We can't wait to see what you'll make for Feather Your Nest!

7 comments:

  1. your home is wonderful! thanks for sharing. Making something for your new home is very important-- it gets you adjusted and attached a lot sooner. Beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MC.. How do you grab Buttons on these websites?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creations are so very cute and add so much to a home, don't you think?! Birds are just all the rage right now, aren't they!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen, your home is so wonderful! The hand made touches in every room really make it unique, I am in love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice place and things,I like your creations....your pillow with birds,and you are so many fabric...Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the lovely comments.

    Maureen's home and her handmade work are so inspiring to me. She has a great sense of color and style. Love!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...