Monday, April 2, 2012

Feather Your Nest

Happy Monday!

Feather Your Nest is officially beginning today. It will be both a sew/stitch-along contest AND a series focused on the home. Let's welcome Spring in handmade style: it's time to sign up and start making some lovely things for your own home! Read on for all the exciting details.

Before we get to the contest, here's what you can expect on Stumbles & Stitches during April, our Feather Your Nest month:
  • guest posts by fabulous bloggers, all about sprucing up your home
  • tutorials from awesome crafty books and blogs, to make great housewares and other projects
  • "featured nests": a series showing you the handmade homes of fellow sewists and crafters
  • and of course, progress and projects posts from Angel and me with photos and details of what we're making for our own homes this month!

We hope you'll come by for regular visits! But more importantly, we can't wait to see what YOU are going to make for Feather Your Nest!

There will be some amazing prizes to win in the Feather Your Nest contest. We're still finalizing our judge line-up and our prize packages, but trust me when I say: WOW! We hope to unveil all this to you a little later this week, stay tuned! (Update: Here are the prizes, and here are the judges.)


Feather Your Nest


Let's get to the details, shall we? Here is everything you need to know about Feather Your Nest!

Feather Your Nest: Sew/Stitch-Along and Contest


Requirements for Entry:

The item(s) you enter in the contest must meet the following requirements:

1) Made by you, for your own home. This includes all sorts of practical and/or decorative items, housewares and artwork. As long as it is for use in your home, it works.

2) Made with stitches. It can be machine-sewn, hand-sewn, embroidered, knitted, crochet-ed, felted, etc.

3) Made with some repurposed or upcycled material. As little or as much as you want. The options are endless! Get creative and think green.

4) Made in 2012. Ideally you will make something along with all of us this month to celebrate Spring. But in case you just finished a patchwork table runner or some pretty curtains a week ago, it's okay to enter that project.

More details in FAQ at end of post!


How to Participate:

To participate in the Feather Your Nest contest:

  • Comment on this post.  This is your commitment to participate in the sew/stitch-along and contest so we can get a headcount. You can sign up anytime until April 22 (Earth Day!). Please make sure to include an email address -- either in the comment or as a link to a profile or blog.
  • Make something for your home according to the requirements above.
  • Post ONE photo of your finished item(s) in our Feather Your Nest Flickr pool, by April 29

    THIS IS YOUR ENTRY IN THE CONTEST.  Please label your photo "Feather Your Nest ENTRY" in the title line, along with the name of your project. In the photo description, explain the materials (including the repurposed/upcycled aspect if it's not obvious -- this is IMPORTANT!), as well as your inspiration, the item's purpose, and/or whatever else you'd like to say. Optional: link to a blog post or Flickr set where you provide more details and images.
  • You can enter as many as 5 items in the contest, as long as they meet the 4 requirements above.
  • Share Feather Your Nest with your friends and readers! Grab our button, share the link, spread the word! The more people join in, the more fun this will be!!


Feather Your Nest


Deadlines, Judging, Prizes & Fine Print...

  • To participate in the Feather Your Nest contest, you must sign up by commenting on this post by April 22, Midnight PST.
  • Your entry photo must be uploaded to our Flickr pool (or emailed to us -- see FAQ below) by April 29, Midnight PST.
  • Your entry MUST meet all 4 requirements listed above to be eligible for any of the prizes.
  • There will be 3 winners in the Feather Your Nest contest. Each will receive a prize. See here for prize details.
  • Winner of Prize 1 will be chosen by 10 judges. Our judge panel featuring an array of talented ladies from the sewing and craft world (meet them here) will be reviewing and rating entries. Judging will be based on overall aesthetic, originality, creativity and craftsmanship -- as well as meeting all requirements of the contest (see above). The entry with the highest tally will be the winner of the judged contest.
  • Winner of Prize 2 will be chosen in a public vote. Starting on April 30, you'll be able to invite your friends to vote for your project(s). The entry with the most votes will receive a prize. (Duration of public voting period TBA.)
  • Winner of Prize 3 will be chosen randomly in the comments below. That's right! You get a chance to win a prize simply by entering the contest! The person chosen in the comments must have completed and submitted an entry in the contest to be eligible to receive the prize.
  • Winners will be announced on Stumbles & Stitches and emailed on Monday, May 7.
  • Our 3 Prizes include gift certificates, fabric, books and more from Fat Quarter Shop, Drygoods Design Online, Sew Mama Sew!, Lark Crafts, Imagine Gnats, and more. Our sponsors have been extremely generous! See details here.

For additional details, please check the FAQ below. We'll be updating them if/when we receive questions and requests for clarification.

And of course, leave a comment or email us at stumblesstitches [at] ymail [dot] com with any questions!

Are you ready to play?! It's time to Feather Your Nest!!
Go sign up in the comments!


FAQ:

I made a shirt, I wear it in my house. Is it okay to enter it? / I made a cover for my Kindle, I use it in my home. Is that a valid entry? / I just made a beautiful table runner for my friend, can I submit it?
Apparel and accessories for personal use do not meet the requirements for entry. Gifts for others, or made for you by someone else, do not meet the requirements for entry either. In other words: your entry must be something you made, that stays in your home for you and others to enjoy and/or use. Examples of applicable entries: pot-holder, pillow, coasters, table cloth, quilt, napkins, bunting, wall hanging, duvet cover, place mats, teapot cozy, curtains, etc.

I'm stumped on what to repurpose for my project. Any suggestions?
Include a lining from a vintage sheet, batting from a thrifted towel, some scrappy patchwork from upcycled pillowcases, panels from a felted sweater, buttons from a stained shirt, etc. It can be as little or as much as you want, visible or tucked inside as a hidden layer in lieu of batting.

I don't have a Flickr account. How the heck am I supposed to enter this contest?
If you do not have a Flickr account, simply email us your photo along with your descriptive blurb to stumblesstitches [at] ymail [dot] com by the same deadline. We'll upload the photo to Flickr and post it in the pool for you.

I'd really like to participate, but I have no idea what to make right this second. Should I sign up?
Yes! Sign up by leaving a comment here. No need to say what project you'll work on. Your comment is your commitment to join in the fun and make something for your home. We find it's a good motivator. But you have the whole month to come up with something and make it. The deadline for submitting your entry is April 29.

101 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds like fun, and the kick I need to get sewing something for my own home. We've just moved and as soon as the boxes are unpacked (we're getting close) I have ideas for making pretty things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll certainly be making something for this :) great idea, ladies! and thanks for organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fun! Love the "green" theme...I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting I have a bit of free time coming up. Looking forward to feathering my nest

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh! I cannot wait! I've been meaning to make new rugs for my kitchen, so I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in. I really want to make bags and baskets, so I loved the post to those fabric baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we just screened in our back deck so i was planning on making a quilt for the deck that we could also use to lay out there for the baby to play on. i picked out some fabric i love and found some old stuff at goodwill to cut up. this contest is helping me have a deadline to get started (hopefully today) and finish by the end of the month. i wanted an easy pattern with big blocks and less sewing so i am trying to make my own pattern for the "turning twenty" quilt. i will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in like Flynn! I've got a chevron quilt to finish so it's the perfect incentive to finish! Luckily it's part made with a (salvos find) old sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh, I have just the project to make. Thanks for an excuse to get off my duff and finally do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in too - I need some new kitchen linens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everyone. I am in! I am painting and spring cleaning and excited to add some new accents. Jaime (Future Arthritis? on Flickr)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to include me email address so - ird@sky.com

    Maybe my first project will be a notebook cover so that I can jot down ideas as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea and challenge, it will be fun to try and see what I come up with.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have so many things to do! Can't wait to get sewing....

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice idea, I should sew as crazy so many thinks I should repair or made for our nest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. im signing up. im a bit clueless on my final project, but ill come up with something...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alright, i'm biting the bullet...gonna do it! YAY! fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found this through your FB page , I'm in . I hope I can get something decent done in time .Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun! I've never done anything like this before, but it will be a great reason for me to make something for ME! Here's my email, kellykatgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool! I'm thinking of something now... we'll see if it happens! lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, I am in....gotta find a good project!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like fun! I have a very busy month, but I'm working on something today! Linda Harbin - MidwestieLady

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a ton of projects - it's the time I am concerned about but I am going to commit to making something- even if it ends up being some lame project at least I will have gotten something done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes! This will be great, I needed a boost to get going on some projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK I'm not sure what I'm going to be making but I'm in, it sounds like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sonds like fun! I'm definately in!

    ReplyDelete
  27. sign me up!
    Stephanie Girard
    crafty3mama@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have some fabric that's been in my storage room for many years, I guess using that now would could as recycling something! Not sure I'll have the time, but worth a try. So sign me up

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm in--I never take the time to make anything to keep for myself so this is the perfect opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  30. count me in! this sounds like fun : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm gonna try! I need some motivation to make something!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Count me in! I have a project in mind and this will get me moving to get it done for my grandson's birthday on May 5th! His parents have new furniture coming too, so I may have more to do...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, what a fantastic idea. I'm so in.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ready, set, sew! Working on ideas in my head as I post this comment. Can't wait to see what everyone makes. : )

    ReplyDelete
  35. Count me in! I've never done anything like this before so very excited. Now what to make................?

    Elaine ridley
    elaineridley@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. This sounds like so much fun! I am definitely in for this! Great way for me to expand my skills!

    Jennifer P.
    ktwcraftiness {at} gmail {dot} com
    killthemwithcraftiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm in! I'm cross stitching a wall hanging. This will be great incentive to finish and frame!

    Roxie
    sewbloomingcute@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Not sure what I'll make yet, but this should be fun! Please count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'll be making a lap quilt!
    quiltedkeepsakes4u@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm in! found your challenge via Ellen over at the Long Thread.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is a good motivation for me!
    Count me in!



    missjoeycraft [at] gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've got a few projects in my head that are ready to come out. Maybe I can get them all done?!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I think I know what I want to make... but can I finish in time? :)
    vynanek@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow what an awesome prizes! I'm definitely in :) My house needs some color and having a deadline is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Awesome..I can't wait to see all the projects. I have one in mind and will get started as soon as I can. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  46. mmmm thinking cap on ........ I know something for the kitchen..... that will have to be made quickly as i have lots of projects on the go .. sounds like fun i love to make things I can use.....

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh I need to make something...surely black and white or blue and white or ... I better start thinking and making!

    Ruby@rubyhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. The possibilities are endless! Hope I,ll finde some time to post about mine project,but I'm looking forward to see what will others come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm in! Nothing like having a ton of projects on the go to get me crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  50. This is going to be fun! Sign me up.
    annahinsondesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is great---I love to recycle/upcycle in my projects!
    Stephanie
    m.steinman@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oooh, I'm in. Leftover curtains into floor cushions in 5...4... 3...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Sounds fun, I'm real close to finishing a quilt and I want some throw pillows to match.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Yes please!!! Making lots of things for my house atm - ad having a brilliant time!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hmmmm... I have a couple of things in mind. A chair that needs covering or some t-shirts that need repurposing.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Alright, time to put all the fabric I've been collecting to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I just added my entry to the Flickr pool! Thanks for hosting, and can't wait to see the other entries!

    ReplyDelete
  58. OOH, love this, I'm in, please sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Count me in! Just the motivation I need to finish my project! neetalogsetty@sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
  60. I just stumbled on this contest and I love the idea! With over two whole weeks left, I know I can come up with something. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I have so much fabric to repurpose ... time to start thinking about some new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  62. What a great idea! I have curtains and pillows to make to add some color to our living room. This will give me the motivation to focus and get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I will be joining in the fun! YAY! I already have a project in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I have an idea in mind as I type this!

    ReplyDelete
  65. This sounds wonderful! I need to put my thinking cap on and start creating something special for my home. I can't wait to see what others do to! I'm off to create my entry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. I discovered this through Maureen's blog. It sounds a lot of fun and I'd like to join in :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. Oh awesome! My BFF just gave me a bunch of vintage tablecloths she had bought at a thrift store, and I was going to make some pillows with them so this is perfect! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  68. The word UP Cycle got me........ I went out and bought some linen shirts from resals stores to have linen for my other sew a long and I have scraps and need to use them. What Fun and I need the discipline to sew for me......

    ReplyDelete
  69. I'm super excited about this--I'm moving at the end of the summer and this is a great way to get my rear in gear for decorating the new house. f8breaker (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  70. Oh this sounds fun! I'm in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  71. I'm signing up -hope can get a photo uploaded via my slow-mo-dialup line. Thanks for the fun. Marcia W.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Deadlines motivate me - I would love to join!

    ReplyDelete
  73. I can't wait - I think I'll make some napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  74. I'm in! This sounds like fun. maclyn.crafts@gmail.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  75. Count me in!

    Thank you for the link Lynette. :)

    ReplyDelete
  76. I'm in, love making things for the house!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Perfect timing, I am painting my Livingroom and Dining room/Kitchen. I have been playing with colors and patterns for all new accessories. I have got a bunch of small fabric samples (1"-2") that I am trying to figure out what to do with. I can't just throw them away, they're too pretty. I've never done something like this before, but count me in. Hope I can make the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Thank you for lighting the fire!. I'm in. My only delimna is the repurposed part. Hmmmm... Have a project that has just been sitting around and now I have inspiration to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Sounds like fun! I'll be thinking of what I want to make! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  80. found an item for repurposing yesterday so sign me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. This sounds like so much fun and it will be my first sew-along type project.

    ReplyDelete
  82. I want to play with you. My new works are
    in my blog: http://bravedressmaker.blogspot.com
    my adress: tanya20091957@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  83. I made a pillow recently, but the only up-cycled element of it are the thrifted buttons I used for the back closure. Do you think this qualifies?

    ReplyDelete
  84. I thought I signed up for this a while back, but I don't see my comment here so I'll attempt to sign up again. Yes! Please! Count me in : )

    Janet
    feltonthefly@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  85. Good! This is the incentive I need to make some things for my own house! I'm always making things for other people, so this is great. Thank you for putting this together.

    ReplyDelete
  86. I'm in. I've been doing a lot of upcycling so now its time to figure out a project using those materials for me!

    ReplyDelete
  87. I have never entered one of these group alongs but am looking forward to it!! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  88. I've been working on baby stuff lately - I need a little break to make something housey for ME!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...