Monday, March 12, 2012

Book review: Harvesting Color (How to Find Plants and Make Natural Dyes)

By-Angel

DSC_7627

Dear Jenny,

When picking items to take over to the rental, I only allowed myself to pack up and move a small number of books (by my standards at least). I tried to focus on the main categories: a few favorite cookbooks, a few favorite craft books, design magazines and some DIY books. Mostly I brought my gardening books, knowing that I would be in this space during prime garden planning time.

DSC_7626

I also put this little gem of a book into the pile: Harvesting Color: How to Find Plants and Make Natural Dyes by Rebecca Burgess, with the goal of using it to help plan the dye garden portion of my Spring planting.  (Joanna passed this book and several others along to me, wasn't that nice?)

The book is organized by Season, and each Season has a selection of dye plants (and a regional map of where you can find them) as well as information on mordants, dye processes and harvesting plants.

DSC_7631


Two plants that I already have access to also happen to make beautiful dye. Pokeberry (we call it "poke salad" around here) grows like a weed in my yard, and I love the idea of using the beautiful berries from the gigantic plants that always seem to fly under the radar until they are six feet tall! The dye it makes is gorgeous, isn't it?

DSC_7629

Another one I'd like to try is fennel, I'd need to grow quite a bit more of it than I normally do (apparently it naturalizes in some parts of the country, but not down here) but Ian loves to eat it, and whatever I don't use for dyeing I can leave for the butterflies and their caterpillars later in the season! I love the celery green it produces, don't you?

DSC_7632

Each Season even has a knitting project, using yarn dyed with natural dye recipes included in the book.

DSC_7633

Also, I remember our conversation the other day about how much different living sustainably looks when you live in an apartment instead of a house with a garden and chickens, this book: Fresh Food From Small Spaces made me think of you! Check it out and let me know if you're interested, I'll mail it to you!

DSC_7634

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angel! This Harvesting Color book looks amazing. The colors of the dyed fibers are incredible, so rich. I can't wait to see you dye stuff with your own plants, it's going to be great.

    I would love to check out that Small Spaces book if you don't need it, it looks right up my alley. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...