Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My First Upholstery Project!


Hi Angel! Do you remember that awesome screen printed flower fabric you sent me a while back? I decided some time last year that I should re-upholster our little ottoman with it, and I finally got a wild hair to do it this weekend!! This was my first upholstery project and I'm SO happy with how it turned out!

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

This ottoman is one of the first pieces of furniture I ever got after moving out of my parents' house. My mom was working in upholstery and antiques at the time and found the frame for it in a shed crammed with old broken furniture. She fixed it up and upholstered it with pretty purple fabric. After a few moves, and living with a cat and a toddler, the fabric was dirty and torn, so my mom made a brown velvet slipcover for it. That worked for a while until we got our blue-grey couch last year, and since then the ottoman has needed a makeover 'cause the brown and blue-grey just do not work together!

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

I thought I would show you a few photos of my process. It was really easy!! I started by removing the slipcover and taking measurements. For the top, I simply laid fabric right side down and drew the outline with a fabric marker.

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

I cut the top 1/2 inch around my marker outline, and cut 2 long pieces that were 12 inches tall (9 inch height of the ottoman + 1/2 inch seam allowance + 2.5 inches for tucking under and stapling). I sewed my 2 long pieces together and fit them around the ottoman to confirm circumference, then I sewed the 2 ends together so it would become one big loop. I pinned and sewed the loop to the top. Throughout the process, I pressed all my seams opened and top-stitched on both sides of the seam for durability and a nice added detail.

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

I didn't remove the purple fabric, which I think a professional probably would have done. I did remove the dust cover from the bottom which was torn by kids and/or kitty. I unscrewed the 4 legs. I put down a layer of batting, stretched it and secured it with a few staples. Then I slipped the new fabric on top. It was snug but fit perfectly. With the ottoman upside down, I stretched and pulled the fabric and stapled it with my staple gun, taking turns with the sides and finishing with the corners (not unlike how I stretch artwork onto wood frames!). When it was done, I screwed the legs back in. And then I tucked the fabric under and stapled it -- which I should have done before screwing the legs back on but whatever.

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

And ta-da it was done!

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

Considering this was my first upholstery project, I am very pleased with how it came out. Of course, I now see all kinds of details I'd like to fix and redo. For example, I should not have top-stitched the seams on the side. It just brings attention to where the fabric panels meet up. Also, the fabric isn't quite straight and even on the ottoman frame. But, whatevs! From a few feet away, it looks fab and I'm so excited!

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

My husband was in Nashville while I did this project (and got to see you and the family, I'm SO jealous!!!!!!) and I was nervous about what he would say when he got home, since the fabric features flowers and the result is a bit more girly than I had planned. But, he loved it! And said I did a great job! Yay!! I just love happy projects like this! Here's to doing more spur-of-the-moment projects that have been on my to-do list forever!

Jenny: Upholstered Ottoman

What do you think of my newly upholstered ottoman? Have you tried upholstering furniture before? Was your experience successful or... a good learning experience? I'd love to hear your stories!

9 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful--good work! I've only ever upholstered pieces that involved cutting, tucking, and stapling. But I have an ottoman that needs covering, too. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do it, do it! It was so easy, really. I'd love to see pictures when you end up re-doing your ottoman!

      Delete
  2. The third sewing project I ever took on was the armchair you can see in the corner of this photo: http://bwpaws.blogspot.com/2011/08/good-things-come-in-threes-part-1.html (sorry, I don't have any good pics of just the chair posted online) I still can't quite believe my audacity in taking it on as I really didn't have a clue what I was doing. It turned out ok in the end though, I haven't yet found it necessary to pick it to pieces and remake it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That chair looks great! I love the bold fabric you used.

      Delete
  3. OH Jen, it looks great! I love the fabric, it looks great with the couch. Wish you had been here this weekend too, I can't believe you single parented AND did this project! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angel! Well, it was general mayhem around me as I worked on this, but I've come to accept that is the only way I get things done nowadays, ha ha! Can't wait until we are all together again, soon hopefully!! xo

      Delete
  4. I am impressed! You upholstered it like a pro!! And the fact that the fabric was snug is the way it should be. The fabric is beautiful, too! What is it, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! I think having watched you upholster countless things really helped me out.

      The fabric is a screen printed heavy weight cotton that Angel found at the thrift store a while back, can you believe it? It's so gorgeous, I love it. I couldn't figure out the name on the selvedge so I threw it out, sorry! (Maybe I'll go dig it out of the trash and try harder...)

      Delete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...