Monday, January 23, 2012

Progress on the Wedding Quilt!!

By-Jenny2

Happy Monday, friend! I hope you stayed safe and dry during the storms that ripped through the Southeast last night. It's true, I now live in earthquake country, but I do not miss the tempestuous weather of Tennessee -- so scary!

I wanted to show you what I worked on this weekend: progress on the Wedding Quilt for my cousin Clarisse. The weekend turned out to be quite busy, hence this isn't as much progress as I would have liked to show. But, I did some experimentation with scraps and love the way it turned out!

Jenny: Wedding Quilt Progress

Jenny: Wedding Quilt Progress

If you need a refresher on my wedding quilt project, here's my original post explaining the project, looking at inspiration and seeking input. And here's my work in progress post from back in September! (September?! Whoa, time flies!!)

I like the quilt block pattern I'm working with (Kathy's Block by Gwen Marston in Liberated Quiltmaking II). It's fun and different for me. I am putting fabrics together randomly and stitching them together as I go. My only rule is I can't have the same fabric twice in one "corner" block. The result keeps on surprising me.

However, the colors are so muted and the block piecing gets monotonous after a while. And it started affecting my perception of the project. "Oh crap, is it going to be totally boring?" So, inspired by all the scrappy goodness I've noticed around the blogosphere lately, I decided to piece together the scraps left over from my block construction to create interesting side triangles in some of my blocks.

Jenny: Wedding Quilt Progress

Jenny: Wedding Quilt Progress

I starched the hell out of those scrappy pieces so that the blocks would keep their shape once sewn, pressed and cut to size. It worked great!

I got through 4 whole "corner blocks" incorporating these scrappy pieces, which brings me to 4 large squares total at this point. (Each square is made from 4 corner blocks.) Based on my measurements, the quilt will likely feature 3 large blocks in the width by 4 large blocks in the length. So I am one third of the way done with the piecing. Oy.

Jenny: Wedding Quilt Progress

Jenny: Wedding Quilt Progress

I am starting to see this quilt coming together though, and it's getting me jazzed up to finish it. I'm hoping to power through a few more block-piecing sessions while the kids nap this week and next. And I can perhaps work on assembling my quilt top before long... I'll keep you posted! I'm horrified at how long it's been since they got married. I need to finish and mail off this puppy already!!

Angel, how are you doing on your quilt? Can't wait to see some progress, mama!

Dear readers, have you successfully incorporated scraps in quilt projects before? Was it intentional, random? How did it work out? Do you prefer to plan your quilts very carefully, or do you improv as you go? Would love to read your stories in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. Jenny-
    I was curious about your comment about how you starched your scraps so heavily to get them to keep their shape. Can you explain what that means as far as putting it together? What would happen in the construction if they didn't keep their shape very well when putting them together? Would they be too floppy or bunch up? This will help me consider how I might use this strategy with other projects. Thanks. By the way, it is beautiful.- nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! Thanks for your comment. Well, I should clarify that I didn't starch them so much that they were like cardboard, but I did starch the scraps enough that they were stiff.

      Several of my scraps were not cut straight. In other words they were cut on the bias, since I chopped them off the sides of my triangles in the corner blocks. So I didn't want them to stretch when sewing. Does that make sense? If you sewed a bunch of bias scraps together, then onto another piece of fabric, there's a good chance the fabrics would stretch one way or another, and you would get a fairly wobbly result.

      I used a spray starch (this one: http://www.ecos.com/spray.html) and simply squeezed the trigger a couple of times on my fabrics, let it soak for a few seconds, then ironed them.

      The scrap pieces came together really well, I just sewed them together like I normally would any two pieces of fabric. The resulting blocks are a bit stiff but after I work with the quilt top a bit more, I bet they will become less so. Once the quilt is washed, all that stiffness will go away, but at that point, I will have hopefully accomplished my goal of proper assembly.

      Whew! That was a long answer. I hope that helps!! Let me know if you have further questions!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to explain. That helps considerably. I all-too-often brush off the significance of which way something is cut, bias or not. I think I need to add more weight to this detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,
    Whaouh ! I'm so surprised to see the advancement of this project !
    That's great ! I can't wait to see it finished... ;-)
    You're so nice to work on that, I'm so lucky !
    Many thanks & gros bisous à tous les 4...
    Clarisse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De rien, de rien, ma cousine cherie!! J'espere le finir bientot, pour enfin vous l'envoyer! Gros bisous.

      Delete
  4. Looks great Jenny! I haven't started working on my quilt yet, I need to get my machine out and see if I remember how it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angel. I can't wait to see your finished quilt. I bet once you get back to it, you'll find renewed inspiration and will get it done fast.

      Delete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...