Friday, January 6, 2012

Holiday Making and Giving

By-Jenny2

Happy Friday! How is it January 6, already?! I guess it's about time I show you the gifts I made this holiday season. I didn't make as many as in previous years because I was overwhelmed with work for my Etsy shop and custom business. (Can't complain!) But I did make a few things, several of them with Benjamin.

First off, I should mention I made a modern log cabin pillow cover for my friend Steve but forgot to take a picture of it. I loved the process and the result and will be using the pattern to make some for my shop! I'll try to remember and take a picture of it next time we visit him. Moving on...

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

One of my favorite projects this holiday season was the bookmark Ben and I made for my father-in-law, an avid reader. We followed the same process as for our mug rugs with kid drawings. Ben drew a picture of himself with his grandpa and dad fishing near Mount Rainier last summer, on white cotton with fabric markers. I heat-set the picture with my iron, then Ben selected scraps in a color scheme that had to do with the experience: blue, aqua, green, brown for the water, the trees, the mountain. I took pics of the process and might do a tutorial in the near future if anyone is interested!

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

As you know, I had made holiday pot holders with the Now and Zen pattern in 100 Pretty Little Projects and those were well received by my husband's step mom. (I fixed up the red one and it turned out great!)

Jenny: Patchwork Potholders

Jenny: Patchwork Potholders

I got my husband several practical (book, shirt) and fun (beer) gifts for Christmas but wanted to throw in something a little more creative. Aside from gardening, cooking and football, he doesn't have too many hobbies, especially artistic ones. But on the occasions I've seen him get his crafty on, he seemed to have a great time. I decided to assemble a solid array of art supplies and make a pouch in which to store them.

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

I used some of my Heather Ross fabric with little campers, it's just so cute and perfect for a dude present. I combined it with some natural linen (shocker!). I like how it came out except the fusible fleece is all wrinkly in the flap, I need to figure that out. I think I am going to tweak the pattern to make laptop and iPad cases for my shop!

To give the hubby some artistic inspiration, I collected a bunch of quotes about creativity and art, laid them out in pretty fonts and printed them out (I also used some ready made pretty quotes that I had saved on Pinterest). I scattered these throughout the pages of the sketch book.

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

This gift was received with perplexed appreciation. "It's very thoughtful, but... I'm not really artsy." Just the point, my dear, just the point. We'll see. I said "no pressure, just know that the supplies are there if you get an itch to be creative". But I intend to schedule a family art day in regular rotation on our calendar, mwa-ha-ha!

While I was sewing at some point, I set Ben up with wooden frames from the craft store and some paints. He decorated frames which we then filled with photos of the boys for gifting.

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

Of course we made the obligatory cookies (lemon spritz! gingerbread!) and some peppermint bark for gifting. Ben colored some super cute printable gift tags (found on Craftzine via Zakka Life). It was a great project which allowed him to practice his handwriting.

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

Jenny: Handmade Holidays

And I think that is about it. I was going to show you the projects I worked on for my shop and custom orders before the holidays but I think this post is long enough already. I'll do that next week!

What kinds of gifts did you make for Christmas? Would you be interested in a bookmark tutorial? Stay tuned for our sponsor round-up tomorrow, and more project posts next week. Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Jenny, I love seeing what you whip up with Ben! So cute and its great inspiration to see kid art projects that are useful. And I can't wait to see what your husband does with his art pouch on family art day! Hehe! We have a little pouch with sketch books for the whole family and some coloring pencils that we take with us on nature walks. Its a good way to introduce the boys to outdoor art time. Although I'm a terrible sketcher myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deia! Taking a sketchbook and pencils on nature walks is a wonderful idea! I think Ben might be old enough to do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea my awesome pillow was a "modern log cabin" model... I am all cozy and squished up on it right now, so comfy! And of course I love the Ben photo frame & bark too... and now the story behind such terrific gifts - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! I'm glad you like your comfy pillow. (Sorry it took me forever to respond to this!)

      Delete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...