Friday, December 16, 2011

Teacher Gifts


Happy Friday! Yesterday was the last day of preschool for Ben before the holidays. I had volunteered to present a "holiday tradition" to the class, so I talked about Winter Solstice and made pine cone bird feeders with the kids. Yesterday was also the day we brought teacher gifts to school. I had great plans to hand make a special gift for each of Ben's awesome teachers, but a couple of days ago, I realized this was just not going to happen.

Instead, I whipped up a little Scrappy Stocking Ornament for each of them, except bigger so it could fit a gift card. Obviously it is open at the top, and also lined.

Jenny: Scrappy Stocking gift card holder


It's a simple modification to my tutorial. Here's how you do it: Use a gift card as a template for the width of the stocking and add 1/4 inch on each side. Layer one scrappy stocking side plus one lining together, and zigzag stitch the top edge. Repeat for the other side, after tucking in your ribbon loop. Then pin your two sides together as in the tutorial and zigzag stitch around the sides and bottom of the stocking (not the top, because that's already done and you want to keep it open for the gift card). That's it!

Jenny: Scrappy Stocking gift card holder


With the gift cards tucked inside, I tied these ornaments to the top of some Trader Joe's goodies (caramels! mints! yum!) with red ribbon and we delivered them along with some cards that Ben made and wrote. (I love that he drew each teacher on the envelope along with copying their name!)

Jenny: Scrappy Stocking gift card holder

I feel like I jumped a big hurdle now that my presentation AND the teacher gifts are both completed. On to the last of my holiday custom orders and all the gifts I have to finish making and/or wrapping and/or mailing. How are you doing with the holiday prep, Angel? Are you ready to just let go and enjoy? I sure am, ha ha!

How about you, lovely readers? How is your holiday sewing and crafting coming along? What fun stuff have you made? I'd love to read all about it in the comments. Don't forget to go enter our Fat Quarter Shop giveaway. You have until 5PM PST today (and go visit Sew Mama Sew's giveaway day extravaganza while you're at it!).

2 comments:

  1. Your little stockings are wonderful and a nice gift idea. I am working on some small pillows, something simple and easy, hoping to get a few small things done as extra gifts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debbie! I think small is the way to go when trying to create handmade gifts for loved ones, you're smart. It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...