Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Burlap Art

By-Jenny2

Hi Angel! I hope you're well and keeping your head above water as we enter the final stretch toward Christmas. I am officially Overwhelmed, with a capital O. I have been so busy making gifts as well as items for my Etsy shop and custom orders, along with the regular routine of raising 2 small children and running a household, plus all the typical holiday craziness. You know how it goes. But can I just say: AAAHH!!!!!!

All right, deep breaths. Since I can't show you the handmade gifts I've been working on, because recipients might be reading, I am going to show you a custom project I worked on last month. I thought it might be fun to share, since it's a holiday project. (Apologies if you visit my personal website, as I already posted photos there!)

Jenny: Custom Holiday Burlap Art

I was contacted by a lovely lady named Christina back in early November to create 4 holiday pieces for her family members. They exchange unique holiday gifts at Thanksgiving and she wanted to wow them. After some back and forth with sketches and ideas, we settled on 4 burlap art pieces: 2 with stockings and 2 with snowflakes. Along with the grey snowflakes above, here are the other 3 pieces I made for her.

Jenny: Custom Holiday Burlap Art

Jenny: Custom Holiday Burlap Art

Jenny: Custom Holiday Burlap Art

These pieces each feature a burlap canvas upcycled from coffee sacks, with fabric and felt applique, and some beading. I am pretty happy with how they came out and Christina was thrilled -- which is always a relief! You might recognize the little stockings as the inspiration for my Scrappy Stocking Ornaments (tutorial here).

Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament

Custom projects are so much fun and I've been so busy working on a variety of them this month. I can't wait to share more of them as the holidays move forward!! Angel, I know you've been working on some custom projects too. I'd love to see!

Dear readers, what kind of holiday projects are you working on? Are you feeling the stress of the countdown to Christmas or have you found your zen this year? Don't forget to go enter the fabulous giveaway by our sponsor Fat Quarter Shop and check out Angel's awesome gift guide.


9 comments:

  1. Really wonderful pieces, my favorite is the stockings on the burlap.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found my zen, and her name is Jenny Bartoy! Thanks for whipping up some projects for me. I really appreciate it and can't wait to see how they turned out. Hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for the kind comments!

    And Deia, LOL!! I promise I'm not complaining. I seem to live for a plate slightly (or much) too full. I love love love creative work, so despite being swamped, I'm having a blast. If only my kids would nap more reliably, I'd be kicking some butt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snowflakes are so beautiful, I love the subtle use of sequins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww these are just adorable! great work

    ReplyDelete
  6. You nailed it again with the burlap- I've gotta try this! Super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the combination of the bright fabrics and felt with the burlap on the stockings. It looks gorgeous.

    I am happy to say I am feeling unusually in control. We decided to do something different this year and have a weeks holiday before Christmas. So I am at my Mum and Dad's beach house, relaxing at the beach with my kids during the day and sewing up a storm at night. I am very lucky that my Mum keeps her old sewing machine (the one I learned to sew on many years ago) at her holiday house and the computer mouse pad doubles as a rotary cutter mat!!
    I think I may have to do this every year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys!

    Maryanne, that sounds heavenly!! I would love that kind of vacation. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...