Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tutorial: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament

Welcome to all our new friends visiting from Sew Mama Sew, Pinterest, FaveQuilts or other spots! We hope you'll enjoy yourself, subscribe and like us on Facebook for updates. Happy browsing!

* * *

I'm so excited to have a tutorial to share today!! I was inspired by a custom project I did recently for a lovely customer (more on that soon) to create some patchwork stocking ornaments. This is an awesome scrap-busting project. It is simple and pretty quick: you can sew half a dozen ornaments in an afternoon. And the result is so cute! (At least I think so, I hope you do too!)


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


I decided to leave the edges raw, so they fray a little bit. I think that's part of the charm of this scrappy stocking, but if you don't like that style, you can use that fray spray, or sew the stocking right sides together and turn it inside out. My tutorial will show you how to make the raw-edges top-stitched wrong-sides-together version shown in the above photo.

Here we go with the tutorial (if my kids let me focus long enough, oy).

Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


For this project you will need:
- fabric scraps (I used quilting cotton and natural linen)
- batting scraps
- lightweight interfacing (optional)
- felt scraps for the cuff (optional)
- ribbon, yarn or twine for the hanging loop
- scissors, sewing machine, thread, pins, washable fabric marker


1. Download and print out the Ornament pattern (PDF here). Cut out the stocking shape, and the optional cuff if you'd like. Note: I apologize for the crappy quality of this pattern. It was made way past my bedtime after caring for a puking, feverish baby all day. He's much better today, thank goodness.

2. Bust out that scrap bin. Select scraps that are least 7 inches long. They don't have to be perfect rectangles or the same width.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


3. Choose a handful of scraps in a color scheme you like. I went with monochromatic arrangements, combined with some natural linen. Lay out your scraps in an order that looks pleasing to your eye.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


4. Time to sew those scraps together. Right sides together and using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, create your scrappy patchwork. The strips don't have to be straight. The wonkier, the better! Keep adding strips until you have a piece of patchwork measuring at least 7 inches wide by 5 inches.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


5. Press all your seams to one side. Flip your patchwork over and press from the right side too, to make sure everything is nice and flat. OPTIONAL: At this point, you can add some iron-on lightweight interfacing to the wrong side. It is not necessary, but I think it helps with the structure.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


6. Lay your stocking pattern shape onto the patchwork, find a layout that you like, then trace the shape with the washable marker. (If you're happy with a random layout of prints, then trace your shape on the wrong side of the fabric! I like to see exactly what parts of the different prints are included so I do it on the right side.) Flip your stocking pattern shape over and trace a second stocking.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


7. Carefully cut out your two stocking shapes.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


8. Cut out the smaller stocking shape from batting. Layer it between the two stocking pieces.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


9. Cut a length of ribbon or twine that is roughly 7 inches long. Fold it in half and tuck at least 1/2 inch of the ends between the fabric layers at the top of the stocking.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


10. Pin everything carefully. You want to make sure you secure the ribbon or twine at the top, that all edges match, and that the batting is securely in the middle (there should be about 1/4 inch of "free" space all around the batting).


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


11. Using your sewing machine, top-stitch all the way around your stocking, removing pins as you go. You'll want to stitch about 1/8 inch from the edge.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


You can do a straight-stitch like the photo above, double-up the straight stitch or do a zig-zag stitch like the photos below. If your machine is fancier than mine, you could have fun with decorative stitches. Or use a hande needle to embroider a running or blanket stitch. Lots of options here!


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


12. Trim carefully around the edges. Make sure not to clip any stitches. You just want to clean up the edges and even out the layers.

And ta-da you are done!


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


The variations are endless for this design. You could line the stocking and leave the top open to create a little pouch and hide a tiny gift. Or increase the size and make it a gift card holder. Or use one piece of fabric instead of patchwork, and embellish with a felt cuff (included in pattern) like I did with this one below.


Jenny: Scrappy Stocking Christmas Ornament


Update: I made more of these stockings and listed 5 pairs in my shop! In case, ya know, you're more interested in buying them than making them...

Update 2: Modifications for turning this ornament into a gift card holder are explained briefly in my post about teacher gifts here.

* * *

What do you think of these little Scrappy Stockings? Are you going to make some? I'd love to see if you do! What are some of your favorite ornaments to make? Please share in the comments.

40 comments:

  1. These are adorable! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these Jen! They are so versatile, I'm thinking of trying the "hide a small gift inside" version for Ian's teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I just got a scrap bag of Sandi Henderson fabric in the mail today and these would be a perfect way to use some of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these...so cute and perfect for scrap stash busting. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I'm so glad you guys like my little ornaments! Can't wait to see what you make with the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am SO loving these... thank you! you're the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is super cute Jenny! I have been thinking about making some ornaments for this year, need to get on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't downloaded the pattern yet, but I might fold my material in half, draw pattern on one side only, then sew with a straight stitch. Then I will cut out with pinking shears. It should work out okay. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for the kind comments! I'm so pleased that y'all like them so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are lovely (just repinned them on Pinterest!) - so simple but so effective. I hope you don't mind that I am mentioning them and using a picture(with all the proper credits) in my blog post on Scrappy Christmas ornaments today. Do let me know if you object.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ali, thank you so much! I think it would be fantastic if you'd like to link to this tutorial from your blog today. Thank you kindly for asking permission and wanting to include this project, I sincerely appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. C'est super beau Jenny, Je découvre tes talents! C'est ton travail ou tu fais autre chose?? (à part élever tes 2 beaux fils). Bravo de prendre le temps de faire cela, tu es courageuse!! bises. Elodie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merci Elodie! Oui, ce blog et ma petite boutique Etsy sont mon travail mi-temps de chez moi. Tu es trop gentille de m'ecrire ce petit mot! Bises a toi aussi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello ladies,
    I love your blog (and this tutorial in particular) that I've written about it on my blog (http://handmadebyclairebear.com/2011/12/10/favourite-blogs-stumbles-and-stitches/)
    Thanks
    Claire from HandmadebyClaireBear

    ReplyDelete
  15. Claire, thank you so much! I checked out your blog post and you are so kind. We really appreciate it and your support.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made pieced five star ornaments this year for the tree, these stockings would go great with the stars. Thanks for sharing.
    Pat H.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are lovely :)
    I featured them on my blog as the final round up to a tutorial advent I did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohmygoodness! These are SO CUTE!!! :D

    Thank you for making such a fabulous tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So adorable!!! Just in time for an ornament exchange :) Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great idea! I've been looking for a stocking pattern, and may just use this idea blown up to use for family stockings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all very much for the sweet comments! I am so happy you like my tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute!! I'm definitely making some of these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are so cute, I am making some this weekend. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adorable, definitely on the list of things to make.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these!! What a great way to use fun fabric. Thanks for sharing. Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made some of these this morning out of scraps which I had sewn together awhile back. Brilliant idea, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. these are adorable... I have just used your tutorial for my version ... thanks so much for the inspiration and instructions...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just adorable...thanks for the tutorial it's easy to follow and understand and I'm going to be trying it out asap...thanks for all your wonderful blogging..merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are so cute, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Jenny! Your little Christmas Socks are the most cute I have seen! What a fantastic idea - easy to make and so fun! I need to make bundle of these! Sunny wishes from Greece! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think this would make a great in-the-hoop design! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These caught my eyer right away! Consider cutting them out with pinking shears to slow the raveling of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've been searching high and low for a small gift for my craft group friends and these are perfectly adorable! Thank you so much for your pattern and instructions! Now....to bust out the scraps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you so much. This is just the perfect little personal "tie-on" to my packages this year! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for such a cute tute - perfect for the scrapes all over my floor!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I made some tonight! Not sure how to post a pic though

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for such a wonderful tutorial! I am part way through making a couple of gifts for friends which I am now going to abandon to make these. One of my sons is poorly today so I have an unexpected day off work - I'm getting my machine out!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great way to use up all those scraps. Easy and fun! I could do this with my granddaughters. Takes no time at all. Easy peasy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Found these over on Go To Sew.. Super cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...