Monday, November 7, 2011

French Press Cozy


Good morning! I hope you had a lovely weekend. Angel, I hope you had fun selling your needle-felted beauties at the Elves Faire. I know you've been working hard on your soon-to-open Etsy shop. Can't wait to see it!!

I ended up sewing, sewing, sewing -- both personal projects and items for my Etsy shop. Can't wait to share them all soon! Let's start with one thing I finished this weekend: a French press cozy!

Jenny: French Press Cozy

The pattern is from Stash Happy: Felt by Amanda Carestio that we just reviewed last week. This book is seriously awesome. I love so many of the projects and couldn't decide what to make first. However, the constant frustration at pouring cold coffee in my mug made the decision for me! French press cozy it was!

Jenny: French Press Cozy

The design is called Autumn Leaves Coffee Cozy and it is by Laura Howard. You may remember that we featured Laura during Christmas in July. Her ornament Layer Play from the book Fa La La La Felt (also by Amanda Carestio!) is available as a free pattern download on our blog here. You can follow Laura's felt adventure on her fabulous blog Bugs and Fishes.

I made a few modifications to this pattern. First off, I changed the color scheme to charcoal, grey and white.

Jenny: French Press Cozy Jenny: French Press Cozy

Second, I wasn't in the mood to hand-stitch so I did the whole project with my sewing machine. It isn't as charming as the original project full of lovely hand stitches, but it was much faster.

Third, I backed the cozy with fabric instead of felt and sandwiched a layer of batting in the middle.

Finally, I added a small panel with velcro instead of the ribbon ties. You see, my husband makes coffee for me in the morning before he leaves for work (he's awesome, I know) and I knew he wouldn't put the cozy on the French press if he had to tie/untie a bunch of knots while he's in a rush to go catch his bus. Velcro = simplicity. I added a little fabric panel that fits in the handle for the French press, made with two layers of fabric and a layer of batting in between, with some velcro stitched on one side. The other side of the velcro is on the back of the main cozy panel.

Jenny: French Press Cozy

Jenny: French Press Cozy

In the spirit of simplicity, I used raw edged fabric along with the raw edged felt. I just stitched everything with a zigzag stitch. It worked out pretty well. I should have taken photos AFTER I clipped all the little bits of threads hanging from everywhere but I was losing light fast, sorry!

The one bummer is that, despite measuring and re-measuring my coffee press, I still came up a little short and the velcro barely catches on. It's fine and it works, but doesn't look as polished as I would have liked.

Jenny: French Press Cozy

All in all, this was a super fast project, maybe 1.5 hour max from start to finish. And it is SO usable. In fact, it's been put to use every single morning since I made it and it WORKS. My coffee is still steaming hot hours after the hubby makes it. Yay! Thank you Laura Howard for a beautiful design that we're now enjoying daily.

Jenny: French Press Cozy

Jenny: French Press Cozy

I hope you had a great and creatively productive weekend. What did you work on? Have you made any project from Stash Happy: Felt? What has caught your eye in Angel's review?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, it turned out great! I love the colors you chose. I'll have to do a post about my craft show experience, it was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful!!! Can't wait to try my hand at some of the fun projects, thanks for the giveaway that will allow me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much! I always love making usable items. I get such a kick out of seeing them around the house.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...