Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fab Felt Holiday Crafts with Betz White: Felty Fir Trees

By-Jenny2

I have long been a fan of Betz White's blog, books and wonderful upcycling projects. She is the green queen in the world of sewing and crafting! When she contacted us to participate in the blog tour for her new Fab Felt Holiday Crafts workshop on Craftsy, Angel and I were thrilled! I am so excited to share the project I've made from the workshop today. Angel will be sharing hers next week.


In the Fab Felt Holiday Crafts course, Betz shows you the basics of felting wool sweaters, and then takes you through the steps to make 7 beautiful felt projects, from a tabletop village to ornaments, bottle sleeves, slippers and more. Perfect for holiday decorations and gifts!

This was my first Craftsy experience and the quality is fabulous. You get to watch the class in HD, with beautiful colors, design and close-ups. Tips pop up on the screen with impeccable timing. Betz has a great screen presence and you feel like you're sitting in the studio with her, learning how to make these awesome projects. And there's a cool feature where you can type questions at any given moment during the videos and get answers from Betz.

Take a peek here:



Before I jump into sharing my project, you should know that Betz is offering Stumbles & Stitches readers $10 off the price of the course by using this link to sign up. The workshop should then cost you only $24.99. So what are you waiting for? Go sign up now!

All right, all right. Let's get to my Felty Fir Trees! I had the perfect sweater for this project. A nice light green hoody that was my favorite for a long time until both elbows got holes. I felted it and the project came together super easily. Betz is a great teacher and answered all my questions with her clear instructions. I learned a trick or two, as well. It's so nice to learn a project from someone who creates quality work.

Jenny: Fir Tree

Jenny: Fir Tree

To decorate my tree, I sewed on some colorful wooden beads I had, and hot-glued a wooden star at the top. (The star has been my favorite part of the Christmas tree decorations since I was a kid!)

Jenny: Fir Tree

Jenny: Fir Tree

I need to find more sweaters in a similar color scheme at the thrift store so I can make more Felty Fir Trees. In the meantime, since I scored some eco-felt at the fabric store in almost exactly the same color as my sweater, I decided to use Betz's tree template to make two more trees. I followed her instructions for assembling the cones, and then instead of sewing the branches on, I just hot-glued some red rick-rack around them. So quick and easy! I like this little trio and can't wait to see them out at Christmas-time.

Jenny: Fir Tree

Thank you Betz for inviting me to participate! I had so much fun with your Fab Felt Holiday Crafts workshop and can't wait to try out some of the other projects.

If you'd like to try out some of these fabulous felt projects, go sign up here with the discount on Craftsy! What project catches your eye in the course preview?

Here's the rest of the blog tour. Go visit them to see some great projects!

Week of September 26th: Wisecraft
Week of October 3rd: A Sewing Journal
Week of October 10th: House on Hill Road
Week of October 31st: Maureen Cracknell Handmade
Week of November 7th and 14th: Stumbles & Stitches
Week of November 21st: Elsie Marley

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Jenny I love it! The course is so fabulous, isn't it? I want to make one of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love when we get to review fab stuff. I am not sure what to make next. Perhaps the ornaments or the fun garland! Can't wait to see your project next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out wonderful!! I want to give this a try next, I'd love to do several of them for my mantel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maureen! Thank you. Seeing your comment reminded me I forgot to link to the rest of the blog tour participants, doh! I fixed that.

    I loved the garland you made! That's why I'm itching to make one next.

    I like the idea of doing a little forest of fir trees for a mantel, it would be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute! I've just started trying my hand at felt crafts. I'll have to check out the workshop.

    (I hope you don't mind, I loved this so much I submitted it to the Make and Takes spotlight page. www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job, Jenny! I love how you added the colorful wooden beads. I also like how you added the star, I have been making some other felt trees, and am still trying to figure out the perfect way to add a star at the top. I am going to ask for that course as a Christmas present. (I got her two books for my last birthday.) It looks like a lot of fun and learning.
    Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey, thanks so much for submitting my trees. That's very kind of you.

    Faith, I debated how to put the star on there. Hot glue gun was the easiest solution but I'm not sure if it was the best. If I had to do it again, I think I'd make a hole at the bottom of the star and either sew it on the tree, or use flower wire to hook it at the top.

    The course is really great, Betz is a wonderful teacher and her projects are so cute. She has another course on Craftsy called Project Upcycle that also looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...