Monday, October 31, 2011

Rainbow Lizard (Happy Halloween!)


Happy Halloween!! I hope you are enjoying the day so far with happy kiddos, fun costumes and too much candy.

Ben's preschool's Halloween Party was last Thursday and (shocker!) I was up until way too late Wednesday night finishing up his Rainbow Lizard costume while swearing at my sewing machine. But, it got done on time and my little dude was SO happy. He was so very proud of his costume and had fun explaining during the show and tell that he drew the "dee-zign" for it.

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

I am pretty happy with the final result but it's a good thing Halloween only comes once a year. That was a lot of work! You can see my previous posts about this project here and here.

Here's a little recap and comparison between the original drawing by Ben, and sketches by me, and the finished costume (we added the spikes on the tail after the sketches):

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

As I mentioned before, I didn't use a pattern for this project. I based the size of the "shell" on a sweater (and it turned out to be too small so I had to add a piece of blue felt to each side when attaching the front to the back; I was pretty pissed off about that one.) and copied a cheetah costume hood for the lizard head. I did a lot of trying and testing on Benjamin throughout the process. Here are some more details:

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

The hood has velcro under the chin. I decided to put the seams inside instead of outside like my prototype, which allowed me to fit it to Ben's head as I went. I added a "mouth" with red felt inside. The eyes are half-circles of black felt with big shiny black buttons sewn onto them. The shell opens with velcro on one shoulder. The claws are fingerless gloves with velcro for the hands and shoe/leg covers with velcro for the feet (copied from boots from a fireman costume).

I think everything turned out pretty well. The shoe covers are slightly too small, but I made those after Ben went to bed so there was no way to test them until the morning. The gloves are awesome and really allow him to use his hands like normal, I think he was pretty happy about those. In retrospect, I wish we had done the scales a bit differently -- instead of sewing the top of the scales and letting the bottom "fly", I would have sewn the bottom V down. The back and tail look a little "fishy" instead of "lizardy".

All in all, this was such a cool process. I love how much Ben was able to help me with it. I also love that we were able to take his vision and drawing, dissect the process, and assemble it together. What a great experience for the both of us.

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Costume

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard costume

Did you get your kids' costumes done on time? Do you have fun (or not so fun) experiences of working with your kids on their costumes? I'd love to hear all about it in the comments! Happy Halloween!

6 comments:

  1. JENNY THIS IS INCREDIBLE! Wow. Ben is so, so lucky to have a thoughtful, creative and talented mama like you. Some of the details (gloves especially) are ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The costume came out beautifully, really fun and love the colors and I can see Ben loves it too.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! My son had seen a different lizard headpiece he liked, but he likes this more! You just became my new inspiration for this year- better get going, eh?! Hope you're having a good weekend :) Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sky! I would love to see how your son costume comes out, please share photos. :)

      Delete
    2. It turned out great- thanks HUGELY to your inspiration! Just posted more about their costumes here: http://ssbuffat.blogspot.com/2012/11/halloween-fun.html THANKS again- I was so very grateful for your lizard costume posts!

      Delete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...