Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Progress on the Rainbow Lizard!

By-Jenny2

Hello! Quick post in the midst of Etsy shop launch madness to update you on our progress on the Rainbow Lizard costume. The last time I wrote about this, we had a "dee-zign" by Ben, some sketches by me and a whole stack of eco-felt ready to roll.

The first part we tackled was the largest: the back with all the scales. I used one of Ben's shirts to get a rough idea of the size and traced the outline on the blue felt. Ben helped me trace scales on all the different colors of eco-felt. I cut them and sewed them on, in the order he chose, on the back felt.

Jenny: Progress on the Rainbow Lizard!

Jenny: Progress on the Rainbow Lizard!

Jenny: Progress on the Rainbow Lizard!

Jenny: Progress on the Rainbow Lizard!

Jenny: Progress on the Rainbow Lizard!

We finished the back and I moved on to the hood/head covering. This part is tricky because I'm not using a pattern. Yep. I decided to wing it, shocker. I dug up a cheetah hood that my mom made as part of a costume for last year's Halloween and used it to trace a rough shape on the lavender eco-felt. Since this material is so forgiving (and so cheap! I know, I know, not an excuse to be wasteful...), I figured I would create a "prototype" and then tweak it for the real thing, if the prototype turned out not to to work out.

Jenny: Progress on the Rainbow Lizard!

I think I will need to do some major tweaking. Eh. I might move on to the other parts of the costume first. Tick tock, I have just a week before the Halloween party at preschool.

Jenny: Progress on the Rainbow Lizard!

How are you doing on Halloween prep? What fun costumes are you working on? I'd love to know and see, if you want to share links in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Jenny, I love it so far! What part of the hood do you not like? I think it looks pretty good, though I can tell you haven't done the fastenings yet. I can't wait to see this finished, Ben is so lucky to have a mama like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angel! I don't know about the hood, I think it's the ridge on the front middle that bothers me. It looks more like an armor helmet than a lizard head. I still need to add eyes and a split tongue, but I think I might redo it to have one "flat" piece in the front, instead of 2 pieces joined together -- if that makes sense. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so totally in love with this!! we, um... have done zero for costumes so far. oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rachael! I am so behind on Henry's costume. As in, zero done as well. I don't even know what he's going to be yet. Oy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...