Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Halloween Prep: Rainbow Lizard!

By-Jenny2

Well, I've got my work cut out for me! A few days ago, I told Ben we should start thinking about his Halloween costume, and he told me he wanted to be a lizard. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Do you know what kind of lizard you want to be? What color?
Ben: I want to be a rainbow lizard, it's got all kinds of colors. And it eats salmon berries, not bugs. And it can see in the dark. And it has claws that look like metal so that bugs don't eat him.
Me: Oookay. Sounds good. Do you know what you want it to look like?
Ben: Yeah. I'll draw you my dee-zign.

(In Ben-talk, "design" is 2 words.)

So this past weekend, we sat down together and Ben drew me his dee-zign from which I then drew some sketches. While I was sketching, he asked his dad for a printout of a lizard he could color to show me the order of the colors in the tail. What can I say, the kid has vision. (He's a little bossy too. I wonder where he gets that, ahem.)

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

The lizard is mostly blue and his belly has multiple colors that create a rainbow circle. The back and tail are all scales. His head is lavender. "Not purple, Mommy. Lavender." As I was sketching, Ben decided the lizard needed spikes on his shoulders and tail. And wings!

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

I nixed the wings because, come on, lizards don't fly. But we're adding some spikes. It's going to be an armored lizard.

Yesterday, with our dee-zign in mind, we headed to Joanns to pick up some materials for the costume. Their eco-felt was on sale for $2.99 a yard! Ben picked out his colors and I now have a pile of felt to cut into.

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

I am not sure about the pattern yet. I need to do a bit more research, but I haven't yet found a lizard pattern. I may have to adapt a dinosaur or dragon pattern. I am thinking of doing just a shell with attached tail that will go over leggings and a long-sleeve shirt. And then of course, I'll have to make gloves and shoe covers with claws that look like metal, and a lavender hood.

It's going to be hideous. I mean, super badass.

Jenny: Rainbow Lizard Jenny: Rainbow Lizard

What are your kids going to be this Halloween? Are you making or buying the costumes? Do you have a good lizard pattern to share? I'd love to hear all about it!

9 comments:

  1. That is going to be awesome! Can't help you with a lizard pattern. Our boys are going to be Swamp Things (don't know where the idea came from). I got brown fleece pullovers and pants from Old Navy and green and brown fabric to make seaweed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the BEST Mom EVER! Wow! Let me see what kind of pattern help I can find online, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! Good luck with the pattern, he is going to love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I'll make sure and post in-progress pics. Definitely let me know if you run into a good lizard pattern while doing your own Halloween prep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute, mine are too old now, but I always made costumes for them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a dino costume for a dog from Martha Stewart. You could adapt the spikes pattern on a larger scale for your boy...maybe use a hoodie sweatshirt for the body and the hood can be the head.

    http://www.marthastewart.com/853581/pet-costumes/@center/276965/halloween

    Good luck! My 4 year old girl just announced that she's going to be a rainbow fairy. Thankfully we have a pair of tights with rainbow stripes on them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a dragon costume for my daughter last year. I modified the space man costume pattern from a couple of years before, using the pleather snake skin in a greenish with a couple of tone on tone green cotton fabrics (for texture). http://dinastodolist.blogspot.com/2010/10/spoiled-alert.html Here's where I blogged about it, with pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all for the feedback and tips!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...