Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stop Sign Pillow


Good morning! Yesterday we shared our review of Stash Happy: Patchwork and mentioned that we both had been working on the hexagon project from the book. Today, I'd like to show you my finished project! I ended up making a throw pillow for the couch.

When Ben saw me working on hexagons, he asked me "Are you making a Stop sign?", I replied "Um, no", and he argued "Well, those are hexagons" (as in "don't you know that rule that all hexagons must become Stop signs"). So, to humor him, I've called this pillow the Stop Sign Pillow. I know, I know, I could have just corrected him and told him Stop signs are really octagons. This all seemed funny to me at the time, but now I'm thinking I'm just sleep-deprived and delirious. Oh well. Let's move on, shall we?

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

Angel, do you recognize the prints? I used the scraps of Anna Maria Horner voile from your Turning Twenty quilt that you sent me forever ago! I had never worked with voile before and never made hexagons before. Leave it to me to turn something simple into something complicated. I thought I would talk a little bit about the tricks I used to make this project happen.

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

I mostly followed the very clear directions for making hexagons in the Honeycomb Sheet Set pattern, in Stash Happy: Patchwork. I cut and ironed my fabrics using the template, as you can see. But then, instead of cutting the smaller template out of office paper -- around which you're supposed to baste the hexagon fabric -- I traced it onto lightweight interfacing. I figured this would add some structure to the voile. I ironed the interfacing shapes onto the wrong side of my fabric hexies.

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow
Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

I did the basting part in front of the TV. It was a quick and easy project, perfect for evenin' relaxin'. I then stitched them together into 2 strips, without much thought behind the order, as long as there weren't two fabrics of the same color or same print next to one another.

I cut a 19 x 19 inch square from an old off-white cotton curtain I had in my stash and laid the hexagons on it. I tried to stitch my 2 strips together, but my hexagons were not all equal and even in shapes and it was a mess. I should have been much more careful and exact when cutting out my interfacing (aka what should have been office paper in a regular hexagon-making process). Instead, I decided to lay them next to each other, a little offset and to the left of the pillow fabric.

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

To applique hexagons onto a surface (in the pattern, it is a pillow and sheet set), you're supposed to use a blind stitch. For many reasons, I decided to skip the blind stitch and use fusible web and machine-stitching instead. With two rambunctious boys in the house (three if you include the husband), that pillow is going to be used in many a fort-building project and will be paying regular visits to the washing machine, it needs to be sturdy and my hand-stitching is not. And also, I'm lazy and like instant gratification.

So, first, I carefully pressed my hexagons so that they would keep their shape. Then I grabbed my fusible web (double-sided iron-on adhesive for applique) and cut out shapes slightly smaller than the small hexagon template. One hexagon at a time, I carefully removed the basting thread and ironed on the fusible web to the wrong side of the hexie, making sure to catch all flaps of fabric underneath. When both strips were done, I removed the paper and fused them onto the pillow fabric.

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

The next step was to top-stitch my hexagons into place. I just stitched around the outline of each strip with a natural color machine quilting thread. When fusing my hexies onto the fabric, I didn't realize that two hexagons had come apart a little bit (do you see that gap between the green and pink hexagons?). Bummer! At least, they should be held firmly in place with the combination of adhesive and machine stitching.

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

Finally, I cut another 19 x 19 inch square of medium weight Michael Miller fabric from my stash. I love using different fabrics from the front and back of pillows! And I gave the invisible zipper another go... with good results!! I'm getting the hang of this thing, yay! Check it out:

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

No, really, check it out! Invisible!!

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

And that's about it. Fun project. I love including handwork into any given project. It's nice to have some homemade patchwork around the house. And I love these prints by Anna Maria Horner so much.

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

Jenny: Hexagon Pillow

What do you think of my Stop Sign Pillow? Have you had some pleasant (or unpleasant!) adventures with hexagons? Be sure and check out the review and giveaway of Stash Happy: Patchwork happening on the blog this week. You could win a copy of the book along with a whole bunch of designer scraps, including the voile seen in this project!

3 comments:

  1. You work is always so beautiful Jenny. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure there's a zipper there?

    Really, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Chelle and Blair! You guys are too kind! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...