Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wedding Quilt Inspiration

By-Jenny2

This past July, my cousin Clarisse -- who happens to be one of my dearest friends -- got married in France. Our little family was unfortunately unable to make the international trip for this occasion and we missed out on a beautiful ceremony and fabulous party from what I hear and see in the pictures. Instead of wallowing in how sad I am about missing this special day in her life, I decided to make something that would celebrate her marriage for years to come: a quilt.

Jenny: Wedding Quilt

Clarisse sent me the fabric that they used as a theme in their decorations including bunting, and for the outfits of the little ones in the wedding party. It is a lovely, modern, flowery print with aquas and browns on an off-white background. I have been gathering coordinating prints and solids (not sure about those bold brown dots), as well as embroidery floss to add a little personal something. But now I need your help in figuring out a quilt design!

Jenny: Wedding Quilt

Since Clarisse and her husband used bunting as a decor item and in the background of some of their wedding photos, I thought it might be fun to incorporate that in the design somehow, whether literally or more loosely by using triangles or zigzags. I've pulled a bunch of my favorite quilts from my overflowing "Quilts" board on Pinterest. Here they are. What do you think?

An actual "bunting" quilt (#1 for reference):

Source: flickr.com via Jenny on Pinterest


Here's a simple triangle patchwork, really close to my color scheme (#2):


How's this for a gorgeous play on triangles (#3):

Source: etsy.com via Jenny on Pinterest


Or I could keep it simple with triangles (#4 and 5):

Source: flickr.com via Jenny on Pinterest



Here's a gorgeous and colorful variation on a simple triangle arrangement (#6):


Branching out a bit... I think these "pointed" blocks are awesome (#7 and 8):

Source: tumblr.com via Jenny on Pinterest



These angled stripes, chevrons or zigzags could be cool too (#9, 10, 11, 12 and 13):




Source: flickr.com via Jenny on Pinterest



I have a lot of thinking to do. What do you think? I'd love some input!

8 comments:

  1. Jenny, you are going to have a lot of fun doing this but it'll take a long time. What are your plans for the final quilting? My favorite patterns of the ones you've posted are pictures #3, 10, and 13.

    When I made the wedding quilt for my brother, I added a design piece that I picked up on Red Pepper Quilts - on the back side, I used plain bone color Moda muslin but added a 3" wide strip of patchwork of scraps from the front side as a horizontal band about 2/3 way down the quilt.

    I used the Bento Box pattern. It's a variation on the Log Cabin (which I love) and you can arrange your pieces in about 6 different patterns. I'm pleased with the pattern, and I'll return to it if I ever make another quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love #3 and #6. Beautiful. Your fabrics are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this stage in planning out a new project! The colors that you are working with are beautiful. I also really like #3, #6, #10, #13 but my favorites are #7, #8, and #9.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the bunting idea and the bunting quilt! fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I'm loving #6 - been waiting for electricity to return from Hurricane Irene, now I'm ready to begin my Christmas table runner from the gorgeous fabric I won from y'all. I think I'll try something like #6 for that. Can't wait to see what you do with the wedding fabric!

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! I know that a wedding quilt will be much appreciated by them. ((do you think it would be odd for me to make one of my own?))

    I think my favorites of the pictures you've posted are numbers are 7, 9, and 12.

    This is one of my favorite steps in quilt making - gathering inspiration and pulling favorites. Have you thought about how you are going to quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love quilts #6 and 12. Since it is to celebrate Clarisse's and Emeric's wedding, are you thinking about embroidering something special at the back, like I did on Ben's quilt?
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2120298_embroider-quilt.html
    You are a much better cousin than I am an aunt...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! I am still undecided, but it is helping me to see what's grabbing everyone's eye. I should also say I got some feedback from the bride herself! I need to think about this some more and do some sketches. I'll keep you all posted!

    PS: I'm so annoyed, I wrote a comment responding to you all days ago and must have never hit "post comment" since I don't see it here, doh. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...