Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Easy Baby Gift

By-Jenny2

Babies, babies, babies everywhere! 2 of my good friends had babies this spring, 2 of my husband's coworkers had babies this summer, and 3 more of my girlfriends are having babies this fall. Craziness! I love making baby gifts, it's such a sweet process and a thoughtful way to welcome these new little ones. But I can't possibly make a quilt for each one of them or that is all I'd be doing!

For one of the latest baby arrivals, I opted for a practical and also easy-to-make gift: a bib and some burp cloths. With a baby of my own (9 months on Saturday, wah!) I know that these come in SO handy, probably more than any other gadget or baby item.

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

The gift recipient being a little dude, I decided to use the bunch of fabric I had left over from the quilt I made for Henry. The birdies are so cute and the prints are very boy-friendly.

This was my first bib ever. I used the super-duper easy pattern by Chickpea Studio. I backed the bib with a nice white terry cloth. It was my first time putting in snaps and that was, well, a snap. Bam bam with the hammer and done!

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

Henry approves! I made an extra one for him. I'll be making these again and again in the future. Seriously, so so so easy!

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

For the burp cloths, even though I had made a bunch of terry-backed burp cloths for Henry's arrival (so funny to revisit my near-labor cuckoo productivity!), I ended up using cloth diapers nearly as much if not more to wipe up baby spit-up and messes. I decided to turn some standard white cloth diapers into burp cloths for this gift.

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

I just cut fabric to the size of the middle diaper portion plus 1 inch both directions. I folded and pressed edges 1/2 inch under and top-stitched the fabric on top of the diapers. I subsequently found a tutorial for exactly this process on Petite Lemon Blog.

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

I really should have washed the diapers first, doh. I am guessing they might look a bit bunched after the first wash, since my fabric was pre-washed. Hopefully they'll get some use though! Lesson learned for my next batch.

All in all, this was a super fast project and makes quite a lovely and practical gift. I would have loved getting this kind of gift for either of my babies' arrival.

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

Jenny: Bib and Burp Cloths

Have you made bibs and burp cloths before? Do you have a favorite pattern or tutorial? What's a great handmade baby gift you've received? Tell me all about it in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. I love those hammer in snaps! Just used some for the first time (chin straps on sun hats) and they were great. Very cute baby gifts idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael, I'll definitely be using those snaps again. I had no idea how easy they were to install!

    Mary, thanks for the kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this awesome tutorial/post! I'm going a baby shower for a friend and this will be the first baby shower I've been to. This gift idea is totally do-able, and I'm super excited for trying it! I have a weird question though, seeing as how I haven't had kids yet... where would I find the cloth diapers that you mention? Thanks again for all the awesome effort you 2 put in this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aila! That's actually a really good question that I should have answered in the blog post. The type of cloth diaper you want for this project is a *prefold*. I was pressed for time, so I got a pack of Gerber cloth diapers at Target, in the baby aisles. There are different kinds of cloth diapers, I chose the premium 6-ply padded diapers over the birdseye diapers. They have a different texture, but I think either one would work. If I had had more time, I would have looked online for organic cotton prefolds and something from a smaller manufacturer.

    I hope this helps! I'm excited you're making this project and would love to see how it turns out. I hope you'll post on your blog and/or share in our Flickr pool.

    We have so many babies arriving in our social and family circles in the near future, I will be making this gift again. I think next time, I'll also add a Swaddle Softie (http://stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com/2011/03/swaddle-softie-tutorial.html). Wouldn't that make a cute package?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the best talent you can use to create lovely gifts like those pieces for your adorable baby. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...