Wednesday, August 10, 2011

3 Dots Pillow



Hi Angel! How is everything going with getting Ian ready to go back to school? Is he excited about first grade? Nervous? How about you? I hope all is well. We're thinking about you!

Things are well here in the PNW. I'm keeping busy with summertime activities with the kids, and working on some exciting stuff that I will hopefully soon be able to share on here... In the meantime, here's a little project I finished a while back and never shared!

Jenny: 3 Dots Pillow

Do you remember that fabric and felt I had brought to the cabin to make a pillow cover back in June? I finally figured out what I wanted to do with it. For a while now, I had this pillow by Denyse Schmidt in the back of my mind.

Jenny: Pillow Plans

While it simmered in there, I also found some beautiful pillow inspiration on Pinterest (source unknown, I'm sorry, please let me know in the comments if you know!):


Source: None via Jenny on Pinterest


And I also loved that lavender sachet on our friend Laura Howard's blog Bugs and Fishes by Lupin, with the stitches running through the felt circles:


Photo from Bugs and Fishes by Lupin


When I finally decided to sit down and make that pillow, the vision for it came together pretty quickly. I picked natural linen as the "canvas" for the front, as well as a simple green and blue print (I think it's by Anna Griffin?) and some aqua felt for the embellishments. I decided to use the last of my Drawing Room fabric by Anna Maria Horner for the back (previously used here and here).

Jenny: 3 Dots Pillow

Jenny: 3 Dots Pillow

My plan was to make 3 large dots with a layer of fabric (applique with lightweight fusible interfacing) and felt, then use that green embroidery floss to do a line of running stitch going down the center of the 3 dots.

Jenny: 3 Dots Pillow

Jenny: 3 Dots Pillow

Oh by the way, I tried out the invisible zipper again, with better results. Not quite perfect, but we're getting there.

Jenny: 3 Dots Pillow

As you can tell, I haven't yet done the stitching with green floss... Can't decide whether I want to or not... It might add a little extra something to the pillow. What do you think?

For now, the pillow lives on our rocking chair in the living room. I like the natural linen with splashes of color quite a bit. And here's a gratuitous photo of Henry (about a month ago, before he figured out how to crawl and pull up and cruise... it's been a busy few weeks for the little guy!!).

Jenny: 3 Dots Pillow

Jenny: 3 Dots Pillow

Dear readers, let me know your thoughts on the stitching vs no stitching in the comments! Also, don't forget to enter the giveaway for Craft Challenge: Dozens of Ways to Repurpose Scarves, it's a fun book!

3 comments:

  1. I say add the stitching. It is a beautiful pillow as is, but I think that line of stitching will just add the detail that makes it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think the stitching would add a layer of texture that would be pleasing. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I think I will indeed add the stitching, that's the unanimous feedback I'm getting from everyone. I'll be sure to post a photo of the updated pillow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...