Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Roll-Up Tote Bags

By-Jenny2

Hello Angel!

It is summer in Seattle and we have been enjoying it! Finally!! It's sunny and lovely and all the windows are open and I LOVE it. I have been taking my Spring Sampler along with me whenever I go outside with the boys, and I'll be sharing my progress on that soon for all our friends who are stitching along. Indoor sewing and crafting have slowed down quite a bit, but I do have a finished project to share with you!

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag

Benjamin finished his first year (or, really, few months) of preschool a couple of weeks ago. We loved his new school and his teachers so much that I wanted to make little thank you end-of-year gifts for them. I decided to make roll-up tote bags since they are very usable and can showcase some lovely fabrics.

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag
Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag

These are similar in concept to the Rume bag I take everywhere with me (it fits in the pocket of my Ergo, in the back pocket of my jeans or in the bottom of my purse -- I love it!).

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag

My Rume bag rocks but the velcro strap to roll it up bugs me. It's cumbersome and inconvenient. I knew I wanted to simplify the process and decided on an elastic loop. I also wanted to make these bags unique and chose a combination of linen (I'm obsessed, I know) and a fun print for each bag. The lining is a contrasting print and the bag is fully reversible. Here's the inside of the bags, and then the bags rolled up:

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag

I drew instructions to include with the tote bags:

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag

Here's the gist of how to roll 'em up:

Tutorial: Roll-Up Tote Bag Tutorial: Roll-Up Tote Bag

Tutorial: Roll-Up Tote Bag Tutorial: Roll-Up Tote Bag

Tutorial: Roll-Up Tote Bag Tutorial: Roll-Up Tote Bag

The 2 teachers and 2 teachers' assistants each got a bag, a handmade card by/from Ben, and a yummy chocolate bar. Ben selected which bag went to whom -- not what I would have chosen, but I like that he had a say in it. He was very decisive, too.

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag

I didn't use a pattern or tutorial for these tote bags. It is a very straightforward project, and similar in some ways to pouches and purses I've made in the past. So I thought a little about the construction, and briefly outlined my measurements and process before diving in. It was a pretty non-eventful project -- which is how I like them!

Jenny: Roll-up Tote Bag

I didn't look up "roll up tote bag tutorial" until now, and I just found several good ones! It's funny to see how similar all our bags look. Check out these lovely tutorials from Zaaberry, Silly Pearl, and 2 bags from our friend Kate at Needle & Spatula!

But hey, I took pics during my sewing process so I have everything I need to write up a tutorial of my own for these reversible tote bags. Are you or our readers interested? Let me know in the comments. I wrote a tutorial for these Roll-Up Tote Bags. You can find it here!

* * *

Have you entered our latest giveaway? Go leave a comment for a chance to win the wonderful book Sewn By Hand, materials to make its sewing kit project, and some vintage sewing goodies! The giveaway closes tomorrow, hurry.

9 comments:

  1. Would love to see a tutorial, if it's not too much trouble. Loved the material you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I love linen and prints too :) The elastic is a great idea!

    And nice new layout, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!

    Megan, I will work on a tutorial. Check back soon -- I'm thinking within a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would love to have a tutorial to make one of these. The colours are beautiful and I am sure anyone receiving one would be really delighted with such a practical item.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make it!!!!!!!!!Please!!!!!!! Thanks!!!! ^_^ Hugs Ge

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also love a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All right, all right. I'm working on a tutorial. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tutorial would be awesome...this is the kind of project I love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, the tutorial is written and posted! Go here to see it: http://stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com/2011/09/tutorial-roll-up-tote-bag.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...