Friday, July 8, 2011

Christmas in July!


Every year around the Winter holidays, I wish I had started making things earlier. The cute tutorials and gift ideas seem to hit the blog circuit right around Thanksgiving. By then I am usually too busy with other things (like enjoying the holidays!) to make as many things as I'd like, especially gifts and decorations for the house.

So this year, Jenny and I thought it'd be fun to have a little "Christmas in July" series on the blog. Let's get a head start on making things so we won't be so rushed when the holidays come creeping up.


Christmas in July with Stumbles & Stitches

Are you in?

Here's The Plan

We've got a lot in store including projects, patterns and links to get you in the Christmas spirit. We're most excited about making felt ornaments from the wonderful book Fa La La La Felt. We'll be sharing PDF patterns from the book, thanks to Amanda over at Lark!

Here's a little preview:

ornament

We'll post the pattern and template for one project on each of the remaining 3 Mondays of July (2 projects for the last week). There will be lots of other Christmas-related crafting posts in between. So be sure and check in!

Get your supplies ready!

Wool felt is PERFECT for these four decorations. It is a durable, quality material: ideal for ornaments that will be around for years. I love working with wool felt so much. I know that not everyone has access to it at a local shop, so I wanted to show you the projects ahead of time so you can source your supplies.

And get this: Debbie from A Child's Dream Come True is offering all our readers $5 off orders placed in July, with no minimum purchase! All you have to do is use the code FALALA at checkout. One 8 inch by 12 inch sheet of wool felt at A Child's Dream Come True is just $2.75, and Debbie has 61 colors to choose from. Fun!

Take a look at the photos and see what colors you might need. One 8 inch by 12 inch sheet of wool felt will make a few ornaments! If you've wanted to work with wool felt, or practice your hand-sewing skills (or both!) this is your chance! And you'll end up with beautiful, handmade decorations to give as gifts or keep for your own home when the month is over.

Aside from felt, the other materials you'll need are embroidery floss, seed beads, batting and ribbon, all easily found at your local craft store if you don't have a stash already.

Excited Yet?

Let's gather those supplies! Make a list of colors you want to use, get your hands on some felt and check back here on Monday for our first project! If you have questions about how much felt you'll need for each project, leave a comment and I'll give you an estimate.

>> See all upcoming Christmas in July posts here.

9 comments:

  1. thanks ladies..heading over to do some shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE falalala Felt!! I made the circle ornaments with my kids last year as a last minute before christmas craft. I cut out tons of circles & squares with my original Sizzix (LOVE that it cuts felt!) and the kids got into it! I should definitely get in on this- I always have lots of plans to make christmas things with the kids, but end up not doing too much as my DD has a mid-dec bday, so I end up focusing all the crafty energy planning her party! I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! I love this book, I won it in a giveaway last fall and made a number of the ornaments last year... not sure I'll have time to participate this time around with my moving preparations but I'll look forward to seeing how yours turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! I contributed a few projects to this book (the bird garland is mine) and it's exciting to think of other people having fun making them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the comments! We're having fun with Christmas in July so far. Have you seen the first PDF? It's the Layer Play ornament. More coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!! I just found you on pinterest and I LOVE these ornaments! I am starting NOW!! What beautiful stuff you have! Thanks for sharing!!

    Blessings,
    Janelle
    www.usmajcole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the different ideas. Can't wait to gat started. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...