Thursday, June 23, 2011

Garden update for June!

By-Angel

Jenny! Hope you've had a great week so far, I miss you guys SO much! I've been a tad depressed, after our wonderful trip to Washington and having the husband home for three weeks, the day in/day out grind has taken some getting used to. But, I'm getting there!

I wanted to show you my garden today, it's one of the things that helps me keep my sanity most days! I think I shared with you that I've been studying biodynamics a little more closely this year, it has transformed my attitude towards gardening and the backyard space I'm lucky enough to be a steward of. I see the spirit in everything now, even weeds, even those insects that are chewing holes in my plants. (And, I apologize as I pull up the weeds, and squash the insects. Balance!) I'm quite proud to show you the plants that are gracing us with their presence this summer.

The raised beds Lee built me are working great, and the paths are (mostly) weed free! 

Angel: Garden Update June 2011

Angel: Garden Update June 2011

Angel: Garden update June 2011

Angel: Garden update June 2011

We're growing quite a few vegetables this year: Heirloom and cherry tomatoes, eggplant, hot and bell peppers, okra, yard long beans, zucchini, corn, butternut squash, Trail of Tears beans, tomatillos and three kinds of potatoes! All are doing great, a good friend watered them while we were in Washington (good thing too, since it was in the 90s with no rain the whole time we were gone!) and after five days of rain and a good layer of mulch they are really taking off!

Angel: Garden June 2011
Cherokee Purple tomato
Angel: Garden Update June 2011
Potatoes
Angel: Garden Update June 2011
Black Beauty Zucchini
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Tricolor Corn with Trail of Tears beans growing up the stalk
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Eggplant, with lots of holes from flea beetles
Angel: Garden Update June 2011
Red bell peppers
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Tomatillos
Of course, I've planted many flowers too, both to attract beneficial insects and for cutting. Most of them have not started flowering yet, but here are a few that have!

Angel: Garden update June 2011
Marigolds, with purple shiso that grows like a weed in my yard!
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Zinnia, my all time favorite flower
Angel: Garden Update June 2011
Purple coneflower
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Black Eyed Susans, about to bloom!
Angel: Garden Update June 2011
Russian Mammoth Sunflower
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Bee balm and butterfly bush
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Borage
I've also expanded the herbs I'm growing this year, and I'm growing more of each variety, too! Lots of herb-drying in my future! I have a long-term goal of starting a small business selling dried herbs, flowers, seedlings and that sort of thing, so this is just the next step moving forward.

Angel: Garden Update June 2011
Lavender
Angel: Garden Update June 2011
Holy Basil and Calendula
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Fennel, parsley, cilantro, dill, cinnamon basil
 
Last, I'll show you the mess we've still got in the back yard after the tree fell on the house. Good news: the insurance company will pay for the roof to be replaced, the siding to be fixed, the tree removal and debris cleanup, the busted shed doors, etc. Bad news: it might be a month or two longer before all that's done, which means no backyard parties for us this year! And, getting a new flock of hens is postponed as well. But it could have been so much worse, I'm counting my blessings!

Angel: Garden Update June 2011
Don't tell Lee, but I sort of wish the tree had fallen on his van.
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Awning, too heavy for us to lift and move by ourselves
Angel: Garden update June 2011
Busted shed door, an excuse to build a new one with a greenhouse attached!

Of course, that's not all that the backyard holds, I would have a hundred more photos at least! It's truly amazing what natural wonders I can find, even on my small, suburban lot. More and more it feels like an oasis!

I hope the weather cooperates with all of y'all in Seattle, and your container garden gets the sun it needs to grow, grow, grow! I'll be back tomorrow with some links, and next week with my adventure in sewing knits!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Angel, it looks amazing!! I really admire all the work and dedication you've put into your garden. Then again, if I had your space and weather, I probably would be in love with the whole process as well. It all looks incredible! (I'll post about my garden soon but, let's just say it's not really in the same realm as yours...)

    Yay for the insurance company helping you guys out with the tree damages!! I still can't believe that happen -- but am grateful it wasn't worse.

    We miss you so much too! And I can't tell you how excited I am about your business idea, I think it will fit you, your ideals and loves perfectly. Go Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have a lot of great stuff growing in your garden Angel! I grow a lot of herbs but have never tried drying them - do you just hang them to dry or do you use a dehydrator or something?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...