Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bracelets for Craft Hope

By-Jenny2

Hi Angel!

I have been scrambling this week to finish some blankets for Craft Hope's Project 13. The deadline is today, eek! While I get all this stuff ready for the mail, I wanted to show you another project our family completed for Craft Hope: bracelets for Project 12.

Bracelets for Craft Hope

I love how Craft Hope organizes these projects. Like anyone else, I always have the best intentions to help out those who need it, but it's often hard to know where to start or what to do. Craft Hope makes it easy to put our craftiness to good use, providing specific projects for specific organizations with specific deadlines!

Ben and I enlisted the help of our friends Eila and Callaghan to make some beaded and woven bracelets for Russian orphans. We set up on their living room floor with all kinds of wooden and plastic beads and the kids did a great job!

Bracelets for Craft Hope

Bracelets for Craft Hope

Bracelets for Craft Hope

Bracelets for Craft Hope

Bracelets for Craft Hope

Bracelets for Craft Hope

I taught Callaghan (6 years old) how to make friendship bracelets like I remembered from my childhood. Man, this brought back memories! I made so many of those when I was a kid, I even started a "business" with an order form my family and friends could fill out to customize colors, size, etc. DesignMom recently posted a good tutorial for that type of bracelet. I make them a tiny bit differently, with a loop at the beginning and two braided strings at the end. The bracelet is easier to tie on that way and I like the finished look.

These are SO time-consuming to make, I had forgotten! I had plans to make a whole bunch and only was able to finish one before the deadline came around.

Bracelets for Craft Hope

Bracelets for Craft Hope

It was a fun activity and for a great cause. While making bracelets, my friend Frannie and I talked with the kids about the orphans to which they were going. Ben and I had a couple of good talks about that as well, and why it's nice to do things for others who may not be as fortunate as we are. Good stuff.

Ben had so much fun making bracelets that he asked for the beads on a few separate occasions at home, so we added to our bracelet stash for Project 12 as the days passed. I'm so happy we participated and hope it helps bring a tiny bit of joy to these Russian children.

Bracelets for Craft Hope

Bracelets for Craft Hope

Angel, I know you were hoping to participate in Project 12 or 13, but you've had so much going on with the trip and the tree falling on the house, were you able to? There's always the next Craft Hope project, I'm sure they'll be coming up with another way to help soon. How about you, dear readers, are you making bracelets or blankets?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing information about Craft Hope. I can't do this project, but I look forward to doing one in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I used to love making friendship bracelets as a kid, too. Sadly I was hoping to make blankets for this project and it just didn't happen... I made a ton for the Haiti project though, and definitely want to participate in future ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've decided we can only what we can do, you know? All of us have different commitments and I think everyone does their best to contribute however they can. That's why Craft Hope is so great, there are several projects every year, so you can pick the one(s) that work for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...