Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spoonflower Pillows (and a little surprise)

By-Jenny2

Hello friends! I hope you had a great weekend and Memorial Day. I had a very busy and exciting holiday weekend -- but more on that in a second.

Before the weekend got rolling, I made pillow covers (and cleaned my house, which was so direly needed but much less fun!). As you know, I had been prepping for this task for a while, spending some birthday money on gorgeous Spoonflower linen fat quarters and pondering possibilities.

Jenny: Pillows

I decided to go for it, since I had naked pillows needing covers and house guests arriving very soon. That's right, houseguests! Look who was sitting on my couch this morning:

Jenny: Pillows

Angel and her family are here in Seattle!!

We are having such fun catching up and talking about our projects in person rather than via internet. It is so awesome -- and a little weird, since we're used to exchanging about 25 emails per day! The boys are having a blast getting reacquainted and playing together -- and so are the husbands! A great weekend was had by all and there's more fun stuff in store.

But, before I get back to these enjoyable distractions, let me share a little bit about my pillows.

Jenny: Pillows

We recently bought a pretty neutral colored couch, this wonderful blue-grey slate color. The rest of our living room furniture is also fairly neutral, in beiges and creams. So I wanted to bring in splashes of color through the pillows. I figure that with removable pillow covers, I can do some switcharoos every so often to keep it fun and colorful.

Right now there's not much of a color scheme, but I'm thinking of evolving the existing colors in my living room into 2 directions (and 2 favorite color combos): yellow and a light steel grey, and red and aqua. If I make a couple more pillow covers, I could go back and forth every so often when the mood strikes. I think I'll throw in some solids to break things up a bit.

Jenny: WIP Pillow Possibilities

Spoonflower fabrics are gorgeous. I was so pleased with the quality of the linen blend. The fat quarters were a perfect size for my pillows. My covers measure 17.5 x 17.5 and 15 x 15, and I have some decent scraps left over for a special project or two to be determined.

Jenny: Pillows

My favorite is this one:

Jenny: Pillows
Jenny: Pillows

I just love the bold and simple design. The designer is Holli Zollinger and you can find her stuff on Spoonflower here.

I backed each pillow with natural linen. And, I made each cover with an invisible zipper. I was quite nervous to try this out but decided to just do it. Take the plunge! I found some helpful tutorials online, particularly this one by Sew Katie Did. Do you have any favorite tutorials or good tips for invisible zippers?

Jenny: Pillows

As you can see, my zippers are not quite invisible. I think it's because I didn't iron the zipper teeth flat as instructed. I tried, but it didn't work and I was afraid to melt the zipper so I skipped it. Instead I spread the teeth apart from the zipper tape with my fingers as I sewed, which allowed the machine's needle to stitch fairly close to the zipper teeth. I used a zipper foot (it was only my second time trying this foot out, it is great!).

Jenny: Pillows

I'm starting to get the hang of this zipper thing. I'm not a pro just yet, but practice makes perfect, right? I am definitely glad I went with it and tried out the invisible zipper.

And I LOVE my new pillows!!

Jenny: Pillows

Up next is my patchwork bolster... Still brainstorming how to make it...

In the meantime, I'm off to enjoy friends and family! Posting will be a little lighter than usual this week and next, but we do have some stuff planned for you all, including a kid craft guest post tomorrow and a giveaway on Monday, so we hope you'll come back and visit!

8 comments:

  1. AWESOME, Jenny!! LOVE these great pillows! Inspiring! Sounds like you all are having lots of fun....plans are in the works for another trip to the beach, including Bartoys this time....I can't wait, and hope you guys will be able to make it! We must chat about dates soon! Beautiful pillows! Love, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely pillows. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Jenny! They look great!

    Don't be scared to iron, I use to do mine on high. You can also go back and resew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabrics you used for your pillows! And yes, ditto on the comment about don't be scared to iron :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Katie and Kate!! I am glad to hear I can be a bit more pushy with the iron. I'll try again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pillows! I love the salmon print too. Enjoy your guest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...