Monday, May 23, 2011

Patchwork Pouches - Round 1

By-Jenny2

Well, hello there!

I have been so busy working on our fundraiser that I haven't had much free time to sew lately (Wait, "free time"? What's that?). No complaints or regrets, it's all for a great cause -- especially reading the news about the latest tornado disaster in Joplin. Horrifying and reminding us of the dire need for help in those devastated areas of the U.S..

I did carve out some time a while ago to make progress on my patchwork pouches since I had to send some out as birthday gifts (including one to you, Angel!!).

Jenny: Patchwork Pouches

How did this start? Let's see...

I had a bunch of little gifts to make. I wanted to experiment with patchwork, quilting and applique (totally inspired by this post by Clare on Summerfete). I wanted to play with linen and prints. I wanted to practice zippers. I needed a pouch to collect all the miscellaneous tiny crap that keeps falling out of my diaper bag.

Jenny: WIP - Patchwork Pouches Jenny: WIP - Patchwork Pouches
Jenny: WIP - Patchwork Pouches

My first experiment was this one with scraps of Nicey Jane fabric. I did a random square patch on both sides and quilted the outside fabric plus a layer of batting with random lines. Eh. I like it but I'm not in love with it.

Jenny: Patchwork Pouches
Jenny: Patchwork Pouches
Jenny: Patchwork Pouches

Next was another Nicey Jane pouch, this one with an appliqued leaf, kind of an abstract way to complement the flower in the fabric's print. My applique skills need some work, can you tell? No quilting here, I only top-stitched a line along the seam between the linen and the print. I like this one a lot. It went to my friend MaryAnn for her birthday!

Jenny: Patchwork Pouches
Jenny: Patchwork Pouches
Jenny: Patchwork Pouches
Much thanks to Ben's Legos for magically holding up the pouch!
For once, finding them randomly strewn around the house came in handy!

The third pouch I completed was yours, Angel! The blue patchwork is made with scraps of some of my favorite fabrics. I hand-stitched some lines with blue embroidery floss. I love how it came out and it nearly stayed here in Seattle for me to use. But, no. You had to have a birthday, didn't you!

Jenny: Patchwork Pouches
Jenny: Patchwork Pouches
Jenny: Patchwork Pouches
Jenny: Patchwork Pouches

I still have a BUNCH of these to finish, including mine. I will hopefully post about them shortly... In the meantime, I am pretty happy with the ones I've made so far. Fun and quick project! If you want to make your own zipper pouch, I found this tutorial for a lined zipper pouch by Skip To My Lou helpful.

Jenny: Patchwork Pouches

Does anyone have tips for how to make those corners "pointy" instead of round-ish? I'm using a wooden chopstick as a point-turner but I feel like my pouches are not squaring up quite properly. They don't have that crisp finished look with clean corners. Maybe it's because of that layer of batting. Hmm.

Have you guys made zippered pouches lately? Please share the link in the comments! They seem to pop up everywhere lately: on Maya*Made, Red Pepper Quilts, Stitched in Color, to name a few.

Oh, and lookie what I found when I checked my memory card! Hello from Henry and Ben!


Jenny: Patchwork Pouches


Angel-mini-buttonJenny I absolutely love my pouch! The embroidery floss stitching along the edge is wonderful. I can't decide what mine is going to hold yet, but I can guarantee it will come in handy in the next few weeks! I'm wondering if I can eke out a few of these before the end of the week for teacher gifts, hmmmmmmm.

Oh my word, how big are those boys? I hardly even recognize Henry. Can't wait to give him a big squeeze, Ben too!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny I love to inspire!!

    I think these are perfect, I like the rounded corners!

    Thanks for your comment on my quilt!

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. these came out beautifully - i especially love angel's pouch. awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute pouches.....if you don't want the rounded corners then clip your corners and trim seam at corner. After turning right side out I use a strong needle and gently coax the fabric to points.Hope this works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable! do you have any "how to" zipper tutorials? they still challenge me as i've never actually watched anyone do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the comments!! I love all this feedback (and the compliments, ha ha!).

    Mary Jean -- Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure I clipped the corners (then again, I'm so sleep-deprived these days, maybe not). I did not trim the seam around the corners and that probably would help, huh? I will try the needle trick. Thanks a bunch!

    Nan -- I FINALLY used my zipper foot for these, first time, and it helped drastically. I don't have a tutorial handy, but they're all over the internet. What helped me was looking at the drawn instructions on my sewing machine manual! I feel so silly for never trying the zipper foot, it made things so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pouches are super cute! It is fun seeing your process in creating them. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    For pointy points, I found a tutorial from Collette Patterns that shows how it works:

    http://www.colettepatterns.com/blog/tutorials-tips-tricks/point-turner-tutorial

    It takes some practice (and coordination) to hold the bone folder while turning without slipping and dropping everything on the floor-- but it really does work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, fabulous tutorial, thank you Robin!! I'm going to have to practice this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow you make this look easy Jenny.
    definitely book marking this post for all the infomration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jenny, you're too sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...