Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Felt Week: A Little Birdie

By-Jenny2

Felt Week

Angel, I finally needle-felted something!

Say hello to my little birdie:

Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie

In case you can't tell, it's a robin, along with a nest and 3 robin eggs.



I wanted to use this lovely little tutorial by Ornamentea and make a bird for Ben's nature table. Ben was absolutely fascinated by the tutorial videos. He watched them all and was very excited about my making this birdie. Since robins are all around us lately in Seattle, we decided to make the birdie a robin. Ben and I headed to the fabric store and got roving in a few extra colors to supplement the stash you had sent me, Angel!

Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie

This project came together really well. The tutorial is very clear and to the point (the only issue I had is that they forgot instructions for the bird's beak in the written tutorial, woops!). I like that it starts with the nest and then takes you through the steps to felt and assemble the bird.

Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie
Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie

Since the nest is larger and more spread out in shape, I really got the hang of poking that needle through the fibers. I started to get an understanding of how it works and an instinct for how to use the needle to shape things.

Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie

Then, I moved on to the larger parts of the bird: body and head. I made the body as instructed and added a thick tuft of orange on the belly of the bird, for the robin's colorful breast. Next were the wings, and by that point, I had figured out how to create shapes with the needle, so it felt pretty seamless.

Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie
Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie

The details were next, like eyes and beak. The eyes were a little tricky, I couldn't get them to stay on. It took some fiddling with the needle, but I finally got them to stick. For the beak, I kneaded a small piece of yellow roving with my finger and then needled it on the foam until it held its shape. I attached it to the bird's head by poking around the beak's base.

Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie

The tutorial calls for felt balls for the eggs, but I didn't have any. So I decided to make my own following the same instructions as for the bird's body, but in a smaller size. Easy peasy. I mixed sky blue and teal roving to resemble robin's egg blue.

Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie
Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie

Overall I think it turned out pretty well!! The one downside and obstacle to my making further needle-felted projects is our cat. Cali is determined to make this bird her own, and I fear it will end up living in the closet. She already ripped its head off before it was even finished. Good thing it was easy to needle it back on!

I had fun making this project! I loved the sculptural, 3-D aspect of shaping the nest and then the bird. Seeing it go from hairy roving to smooth felt with just pokes of a needle was nothing short of magical! The whole process was quick and pretty zen -- aside from the massive amount of bloody holes in my fingers. Goodness gracious, those needles are sharp!

Jenny: Needle Felted Birdie

What do you think of my robin? Dear readers, have you needle-felted anything, or would you like to? Tell us in the comments!

And psst, have you entered the fabulous giveaway by A Child's Dream Come True and Rainbow River Designs. Go here to check it out.

Angel-mini-buttonGreat job Jenny! Your robin and nest turned out great. I think one of my first projects was also a robin and a nest! They're still around here somewhere. Can't wait to see what you try next!

2 comments:

  1. i have never needle felted but your project turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jenny! It really is super easy. Your daughter would probably enjoy it!! (Just watch out for those needles, yikes!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...