Thursday, May 5, 2011

Family Tree: A Paper Craft for Kids

Hello!

I have a kid's craft to share today! Ben and I had some fun with construction paper and family photos the other day and made a "family tree".

Jenny: Family Tree

The idea for this project came from this book of crafts from the 70's that my mom gave me a while back. It's in French, titled "What Should We Do Today?", and full of cheesy crafts involving inappropriate items like thumbtacks, matches, pins, etc. There's a full-size wooden bow and arrow project in there, I kid you not. It's funny, however, to see how repurposing- and recycling-friendly all the projects are.

Family Tree 14

Ever since my mom sent me this book, Ben has been obsessed with it (which is funny because I remember being obsessed with it as a child too!). I always find this book on his messy desk or on the couch with him while he's watching morning cartoons. I hear, "Mommy, can we make this craft?" over and over again, and usually before I've even had my morning coffee. Sigh.

Jenny: Family Tree

On a rainy morning the other day (I believe this is the morning he barged into the bathroom while I was in the shower, book in hand, asking "Mommy, can we make this craft?"), we decided to tackle the family tree.

The project in the book is pretty large and supposed to be covered in tin foil. (Really?) I only had 8 x 10-inch sheets of hard cardboard, so I decided we'd make our own tree on a smaller scale. I drew my own version and cut it out for Ben and he went to work with his paints.

Jenny: Family Tree
Jenny: Family Tree
Jenny: Family Tree

He painted both sides of the tree and stand. While that was drying, I cut out leaves from the construction paper (about a dozen) and he selected some photos from a whole bunch I let him browse through. It was great fun to discuss who belonged to our family, how we were all related, etc. Kids are funny. We HAD to find a picture of Cali the cat.

Jenny: Family Tree
Jenny: Family Tree
Jenny: Family Tree

For each photo, we used the leaf cut-out to determine whether the face would fit on our leaves. I drew a square around the face and let Ben cut it (or tear it). I then "refined" the square into a circle.

Jenny: Family Tree
Jenny: Family Tree

We glued our photos onto leaves, then glued the leaves onto the tree. We made sure to add a smiling photo of Ben at the root of the tree.

Jenny: Family Tree

Voila! (And yes, that's Cali on the left!)

Jenny: Family Tree

It was a fun project and the result is lovely enough to stay on Ben's bookshelf for some time. I think he loves seeing his cousins, grandmas, uncles and aunts every day as he goes to bed.

Here's a free PDF template (my very unpolished drawing!) for you to print if you'd like to make it too!

Family tree crafts are all over the internet. I especially love the fabric ones and would love to make one someday. Have you made a family tree with or for your kids before? Tell me all about it!


* * *

Angel-mini-button Jenny this is so awesome! That book is SO 70s, the cover is cracking me up. Ben did a great job on it, it looks like he had so much fun. (Have you sprung for that poor kid's first set of markers yet?)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Angel! Ben did have a great time. I love those crafts that bring us together with a good conversation, it's so sweet.

    And no, no markers yet. We're having a "Let's draw on the walls, or maybe the furniture!!" phase right now, and crayons/pencils have now become permission only. So, I'm going to wait a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! It is a great craft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for a tree craft...I really like this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this one for a preschool project. Thank you * *

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing, awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...