Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Looking Back: Aprons

By-Jenny2

Angel and I have come up with an idea for a little series: looking back at old projects, made before the existence of this blog. We thought it might be fun to see what we think of them now, reflect on what we've learned since, and just to share some more stuff we've made!

The first thought that popped into my mind when brainstorming old projects to feature was: aprons! Back in the summer of 2008, when Ben was just a year old, I began sewing. It started with simple stuff like cloth wipes and inserts for his diapers and fabric bags for produce. Then by the winter, I decided I could sew a few Christmas gifts. Aprons were all the rage and that's what I made!

Here's one I made for a handmade Secret Santa exchange:

Jenny: Aprons (Looking Back)

Jenny: Aprons (Looking Back)

And here's another one I made for a girlfriend of mine who'd just bought her first home (clearly, I expected her to start hosting dinner parties):

Jenny: Aprons (Looking Back)
Jenny: Aprons (Looking Back)

It's funny to look at these little aprons in photos now. In my memory, they were atrociously assembled, crooked and lopsided, and with terribly uneven top-stitching. In actuality, they don't look too bad!

I definitely have learned so much since then about construction, for one, and about proper sewing skills like pressing every seam and watching your seam allowance. But, you gotta start somewhere and I'm proud of these little aprons. I hope they were loved and used by their recipients (who hopefully didn't look too close at the details)!

PS: Don't forget that TODAY is the deadline for the Spring Runner Sew-Along! Go enter your photo in the Flickr pool before midnight...

Angel-mini-buttonThanks for sharing these Jen! This is a fun series, can't wait to do one of these posts myself.

And, can't wait to see what everyone puts into the Flickr pool today! My runner is finished, thank goodness!

2 comments:

  1. Love the fabric you used for the aprons, so lovely! I guess it makes cooking that much more exciting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...