Thursday, April 7, 2011

Charming Baby Quilt: So Close!

By-Jenny2

Poor Angel, I'm so sorry you're out for the count with a nasty virus! Having just been sick as a dog for the first time since becoming a mom, I sympathize wholeheartedly. I hope you're getting a break or a little help somehow. May you feel better soon soon soon!

As you know, I was planning on sharing my finished Charming Baby Quilt today. And, as predicted on our Facebook page, I jinxed myself by saying I was almost done!

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

Last time I wrote about my progress, I had finished my quilt top. I then picked my backing: a pink and white polka dot Robert Kaufman print I'd had in my stash forever. I also made a column with the 5 squares I had left from my charm packs and added that on the edge of the backing fabric.

I made my "sandwich", basted it with safety pins and quilted straight lines going along 1/4 inch from the blocks' edge.

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt
Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

That's where I was when I predicted I would be done this week.

Well, when I finally sat down in front of my sewing machine, I realized I hadn't quilted the quilt enough. My straight lines left the whole 10 x 10 inch blocks unquilted and that would lead to problems with the batting once the quilt was washed. So, I had to add some quilting lines. I went for diagonals, going through all the blocks' corners.

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt
Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

I really need to invest in a walking foot. I keep pushing it off because I want to buy a new sewing machine at some point in the near future and it may be a different brand. But I am so annoyed and disappointed with all the puckering that occurred while quilting this cute quilt. Blah. Hopefully most of it will even out during the wrinkling and shrinking that occurs with the first wash.

I also rounded the corners, using a bowl to trace the outline. I then zig-zagged all the way around the quilt, something I've done before and that really helps with the binding process, I think.

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt
Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

Below, you can see my trusty assistant holding the quilt up to the best of his 3-foot-tall ability.

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt
Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

I was determined to finish the quilt yesterday, but my poor teething baby was not having it. I did make my binding and at this point, attaching it should theoretically be all that's left. I better hurry up because that baby girl is almost here!

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt
Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

I am hoping to have a finished, bound, washed, DONE quilt to show you in a few days. And let's hope I didn't just jinx myself again!

* * *

I hope you wonderful readers have checked out our first giveaway from Lark Crafts: 2 copies of Big Little Felt Universe. We've paired this up with gift certificates for $25 in felt supplies generously offered by Felt-o-rama and Wool Felt Central. Go enter here!

7 comments:

  1. I really love it! THat diagonal quilting looks great. Good luck finishing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks good. I can't see any puckers so it is amazing that you quilted it without a walking foot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much for the encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brie! I attached most of the binding yesterday... Fingers crossed, I might get it finished soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so great! I just got a sherbet pips charm pack and have been looking for a good pattern and I think this is it! Love the rounded corners too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Rachel! I just posted about the finished quilt here: http://stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com/2011/04/charming-baby-quilt-done.html. I will try to write out the pattern and post it next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...