Thursday, April 14, 2011

Charming Baby Quilt: Done!

By-Jenny2

It's done! Well, technically, *almost* done. But, done enough to post!!

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

I apologize in advance for the crummy pictures. It's rainy and very gray out, I have a to-do list 3 miles long and a 3-year-old who has traded his nap for a thousand interruptions. So, I didn't get a chance to iron the quilt or wait for nice light. But, this'll have to do because I really want to share!

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt
Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

It came out of the wash all nice and crinkly! I am happy with the binding choice. I didn't want anything to overwhelm the already very contrast-intense quilt top. The pink and white stripes add a nice, subtle touch. What do you think?

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt
Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

I said earlier the quilt was *almost* done, because I still need to go around the binding with a sewing needle and fix all the spots where my sewing machine didn't quite catch it. I think I might stop trying to attach quilt binding with the machine. The sewing-in-the-ditch never works out, no matter how meticulously I approach it, and the perfectionist in me ends up frustrated at the end of a long project that, up until that point, has worked out pretty well. Blind stitching around a quilt seems so daunting, though. Sigh.

Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt
Jenny: Charming Baby Quilt

In any case, after a couple of evenings on the couch with thread and needle in hand, this Charming Baby Quilt should be ready to go to its new home and await the arrival of its little recipient!

I have loved using a charm pack for the first time and coming up with this pattern. It is so super-duper easy and I'll work on writing it out so you guys can make the quilt too. I imagine it's very simple to adapt to a larger size of your choice. I'll try to work on it this weekend so I can share it next week (fingers crossed).

Would you make this pattern? What projects have you made with charm packs?

7 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Congratulations!! Gosh I love those Pips. The rounded corners look great. I have the same problem w/ machine binding, btw. Can't get it to catch on the other side. I haven't bound a quilt yet, but I think I'd do the hand-stitching way just to avoid the frustration. Time consuming but less frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melanie! I really love that fabric line so much. It's so sweet and sassy and charming in an almost bookish way. Very fun to work with. The character prints are adorable and the small prints that go with them are great -- could totally be used in a variety of projects!

    I agree with the "time consuming but less frustrating". Ultimately, I spend so much time pinning, then ripping out stitches, then re-stitching the binding, and eventually fixing the gaps with a hand needle, that I might as well sit down with needle and thread in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi it's very sweet, I especially like the rounded corners.

    I'm having photo issues with my runner too.
    I stupidly washed it as I had used a fabric pen to draw on the quilting lines, so now it's wrinkly as a wrinkly thing, and thats after ironing!

    hey ho!

    The back looks good, at least that's something!

    Have a great weekend.
    Hopefully I shall have something to submit on Monday

    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Clare (and sorry, I didn't realize I hadn't responded to this!!). I like the rounded corners too, it was an interesting experience: not as easy to bind as you'd think! I'll think I'll make them MORE round next time I try this out.

    Your runner looks awesome, you did a wonderful job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore this quilt! Would love the pattern when you have time. I'm new to quilting so I'm not so great with measurements yet (of the pieces outside the squares). Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Hi Christine, thank you so much for the kind words. You can find the tutorial for this quilt here: http://stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com/2011/04/tutorial-charming-baby-quilt.html Have fun!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your quick response--I can't wait to get started. I'll let you know how it turns out!

      Delete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...