Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Belts

By-Jenny2

Good morning! I've got good news and bad news from the home front today. Good news: I have finally lost enough baby weight to warrant looking for a belt. Before you cheer: it's for my post-partum jeans, NOT my pre-baby jeans, but still, yay for breastfeeding! Bad news: I have finally discovered the source of that persistent musty mildewy moldy smell in the bathroom. Turns out my favorite canvas belt had been hanging on the hook behind the door for... ahem, way too long. It really is humid here, especially in our old bathroom without a vent, but I never thought a belt would grow mold. SO gross.

Well, in a relatively rare act of wastefulness, I threw that belt away. Short of using bleach, I couldn't figure out how to clean it up and it was just, did I already say: EW. But, I still needed a belt, so I decided to make one for the belt buckle I'd saved before tossing that moldy webbing away!


Jenny: Belts

I had some of Anna Maria Horner's Good Folk fabric and thought the large stripe pattern in the print would work well for a belt. I used the entire 44" width of the fabric and cut a 4-inch stripe of it. My buckle is 1.5 inches wide.


Jenny: Belts

This is such an easy-peasy project. Fold the fabric 1/2 inch on both sides, press. Fold 1/2 inch in at each end, press. Fold in half length-wise, press. Then add a 1.5 inch wide strip of heavy interfacing to the inside.


Jenny: Belts

Stitch along both sides and ends of the belt. Slide it into the buckle. You're done!


Jenny: Belts

When setting out to make this belt, I realized that I had planned to make a belt for Ben months ago and let that project sit. I had bought the D-rings and the adorable fabric for it, too!


Jenny: Belts

I followed the same process for making this belt, except I cut it down to 30 inches for length, and 3 inches for width, since my D-rings were 1-inch wide. I also didn't include interfacing since the linen is already thick and pretty sturdy. I did try to be careful in cutting and folding the fabric, so that each side would feature a neat row of robots.


Jenny: Belts

I looped one end of the belt around 2 D-rings and top-stitched several times to secure it in place. I evidently did not trim my thread very carefully.


Jenny: Belts

I think it looks mighty cute! I tried it on some of Ben's pants to see (He was in a foul mood and wouldn't put them on for a glamour shot. Since when are 3-year-olds teenagers?) and I think this belt is going to work great!


Jenny: Belts


Angel-mini-buttonWhat, no glamor shot of YOU wearing YOUR belt? Ha! You are so resourceful, I am constantly impressed by your ingenuity. I love the fabric for both of them, what line is the fabric for Ben's? Super cute. (And, I thought it was humid here, dang! Do you have to wash the shower curtain a lot?)

4 comments:

  1. Angel, I linked to the linen print somewhere in the post above. It's called: Kokka Linen Blend Trefle Robot Buddies (http://www.fabricworm.com/kolibltrrobu.html). I love it!

    And yes, I have to wash the shower curtain constantly! I have never had to dealt with so much mold and mildew as in this house/Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, DEFINITELY back to get more coffee. I JUST looked at that post and missed the link completely. Love the Trefle fabric, I've bought quite a bit of it in different prints myself. Love the robots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love this idea! Thanks, I will be trying it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Angie! We'd love to see your finished project if you make this. Please post in our Flickr pool if you'd like: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1519793@N21/.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...