Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring Runner Sew-Along

By-Angel-and-Jenny

Dear readers, we have such a fun project to announce today! To welcome Spring and spruce up our homes, we are launching a Spring Runner Sew-Along! (With a special guest... Read on...)

Spring Runner Button

Sew along with us: make a runner for your dining room (or kitchen, or windowsill...), show it off and earn a chance to win some cool stuff!

Spring-Runner-1

Our inspiration is the lovely Zigzag Table Runner (above) from the equally lovely book I Love Patchwork by Rashida Coleman-Hale.

And get THIS: the awesome Rashida is going to be playing along with us. As you may know, Rashida is not only a book author, she also writes the blog I Heart Linen and designs fabric. For a cherry on top, Rashida will be giving away a copy of her book to a lucky winner! (There might be another little surprise or two thrown in, too...)

Jenny Spotlight: I Love Patchwork

We'd love to engage all of you out there to participate by making a runner for your own space. Using these images (or the pattern if you have it) of Rashida's beautiful and light-hearted piece as a jumping-off point, the goal is to usher Spring indoors with a pretty and simple project.

Your Sew-Along Runner should:

1) Celebrate Spring
2) Be inspired by Rashida's runner in at least one way: the pattern, the linen, the zigzag, the tricolor theme, the vintage fabric... You decide!

Spring Runner

To participate in the Sew-Along:

- Comment on this post -- this is your commitment to make a runner so we can get a headcount. (We're not going to hunt you down and steal your fabric stash if you don't get yours done, but please only commit if you believe you can make it!) You can sign up anytime until April 12.
- Stitch up a runner according to the 2 requirements above
- Post one photo of your finished runner in our Spring Runner Flickr pool, by April 19. In the photo description, explain your inspiration and/or link to a blog post where you provide details. Please label your photo "Spring Runner Submission".

Note: If you do not have a Flickr account, simply email us your photo along with your descriptive blurb to stumblesstitches (at) ymail (dot) com. Same deadline. We'll upload the photo to Flickr and post it in the pool for you.

Spring-Runner-01

We will be working on our own runners and sharing our progress over the next few weeks. On April 20, we will show you our finished projects and vote to choose a winner from the Flickr pool submissions!

Are you ready to play?! Happy Spring!

Comments are closed for this post, since we're past the deadline to sign up! Thanks to everyone who put their name in the hat, can't wait to see what you make.

Photos of I Love Patchwork used with authorization from Rashida Coleman-Hale

21 comments:

  1. I'm in too. I just finished the bucket bag last night from sew mama sew that y'all linked to a few weeks back, and I'm ready for my next project. :) Thanks for all of the fun inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in too :) My thesis defense is April 15th and i'm moving cross-country April 18th, so there is a chance I may have to bail. . .but i'll do my best! I could use a break from reading and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness it's gorgeous! I want to play along... but I've already committed myself to 2 (!) quilt-a-longs and I've got a 30 page literary criticism and a 15 page literary criticism that really need to be written. As in I need them in order to graduate... If I can, though, I will definitely do something small that is inspired by the zigzag. If not a table runner then maybe a windowsill runner for under my plants! lol

    <3 Lora; lora.clare@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Me, me, me! I had a friend who had recently given me a box of her grandmothers old fabric. There is some amazing floral print fabric mixed in there but are too thick for a warm weather clothing item. I had no idea what to do with it. Now you have given me an idea and the motivation! Yaaa : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. wahoo! my first sew-a-long and i can barely contain my excitement. i can't wait to see what everyone (especially rashida) comes up with! count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to participate too! I do not have the pattern though, any chance there will be a tutorial on the zig zag piecing? If not, I can probably find one somewhere. Love the simple linen with a splash of bright color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in but like Maggie I need a tutorial on the zig zag piecing. Is Rashida's pattern available as a download?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi guys, quickly popping in to let you know that Rashida's publisher unfortunately doesn't want the pattern to be made available online.

    To get the exact pattern, I would recommend checking out I Love Patchwork from your local library.

    To get tutorials on zigzag piecing, check out these links:
    - http://www.purlbee.com/zig-zag-quilt/
    - http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/2009/03/you-may-have-this-dance.html
    - http://domestikgoddess.com/5-tutorials-to-make-a-zig-zag-quilt/
    - http://www.u-createcrafts.com/2010/08/creative-guest-zig-zag-pillow-by-make.html

    Remember that you don't need to make the exact same runner, you can just use the images for inspiration.

    Thanks for the feedback and questions though, we'll work on a post for next week with resources to help you out with this stuff!

    YAY!! So excited for this Sew-Along. I cannot wait to see what you all come up with!! Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very excited for this sew along! Every time I make a table runner it ends up at my moms house so this is the perfect opportunity to make something for ME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me!! I would like to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in.
    This will be my first ever quilt along!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to join in. Will be nice to get something finished quickly. I'm also a quilt along newbie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the links, Jenny! That will be very helpful. Now for the fun part, selecting fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'll hop right on in and join the fun. This will make me hop on a project I've needed to do for a while. Maybe now I'll remove my runner I've used*ahem* for over 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in! Love your blog and I am a total newbie. Can't wait. Off to pick fabrics today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in. This will be my first time, but I want to make a spring "table" for my family on top of a short bookcase in our living room. This is just the push I need to get moving on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sign in today.
    Looking forwars this lovely SAL

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...