Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fabric-covered File Holders


I played with Mod Podge again!

(Dear readers, this is going to be a bit of a drive-by post because we're working on some fun but time-consuming announcements for this week and next! Make sure to check back in!!)


Jenny: Fabric-covered File Holders

During our last visit to IKEA, I purchased some plywood file holders with the idea of covering them in paper or fabric. I had scored some awesome Anna Maria Horner fabric during a sale a couple of months ago, and decided the bold prints would be perfect for this project.


Jenny: Fabric-covered File Holders
Jenny: Fabric-covered File Holders

I experimented with 2 ways of doing this:

1) cutting a piece of fabric for each side of the file holder


Jenny: Fabric-covered File Holders

2) cutting one large piece of fabric for the whole thing


Jenny: Fabric-covered File Holders

I think experiment 2) worked better. You don't get all the fabric edges fraying all over the place.

For both versions, I laid the file holder on the flattened fabric and drew the outline of the shape with a fabric marker. For 2), I flipped the file holder carefully so that I could draw each side next to the other, then just added a little extra flap of fabric to tuck and glue under the other end. You just have to be extra careful to draw your outline exactly to the size of your file holder with this version, otherwise you will have extra fabric bunching at the edges (which you can kind of see in the photo below).


Jenny: Fabric-covered File Holders

Having learned from my previous Mod Podge + fabric experience, I didn't apply another coat on top of the fabric, so these file holders are nice and smooth. They are already full of papers and files on my desk! I love how the vertical storage gives my desk so much more usable space (for more clutter, ha!).


Jenny: Fabric-covered File Holders

Please come back tomorrow for a fun fun fun announcement (and dust off your sewing machine!)

Angel-mini-buttonJenny you are on a Mod Podge ROLL! Wow. These turned out great! You can't go wrong using AMH fabric on anything, what a great choice.

Hope you and the kiddo are feeling better ASAP, can't wait to share our announcement with everyone tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you both! They're a very cheerful addition to my desk, I love seeing them there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabric! Great choice. I like these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing!! I will be covering mine with leather as well. Will post pics on my blog soon. http://tundrarunners.blogspot.com/ Thanks for the great idea Ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both for the compliments. Tracy, I'll be checking your blog for the leather upgrade, that sounds like an interesting idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im not experienced with modge podge... how did you apply it? Im thinking of using a foam brush. Is there any other type of glue that would do just as well or better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a foam brush! It worked really well. I have heard that regular white glue/Elmer's glue works for this type of project as well, but have never used it. Good luck with this project, I'd love to see what you make if you'd like to link to photos or a blog post. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...