Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Revamp: IKEA Drawers

By-Jenny2

I'm all about projects that fall into the instant gratification category lately. And here's a great example.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

In the span of an afternoon, surrounded (or should I say "helped") by an eager 3-year-old and a fussy baby boy, I revamped a pretty disgusting, cheapo drawer cabinet from IKEA.

This cabinet has lived under my desk for years, it is great for storing all my miscellaneous office supplies. When we moved a year and half ago, my efficient husband taped all the drawers together to keep them from shifting during transport. He didn't wrap them for protection first and after a sweltering mid-summer cross-country move, those particle board drawers never recovered.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Ever since our move, they've sported some yucky streaks of tape residue that have gotten covered in lint and dust. I've tried several times to scrape or wash them off, to no avail. It was time to cover them up! What better choice but some Anna Maria Horner fabric! Specifically: a fat quarter of her latest collection, Innocent Crush.

Here's a little tutorial to show you how I accomplished this little revamp...

First off, measure your drawers:

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Iron your fabric, then figure out which area of the pattern you want to feature on your drawers. Determine what will be the middle and then, according to your measurements, determine where to cut on each side.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Carefully cut your fabric to exactly the size of the drawers (blurry picture, sorry!):

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Remove hardware from your drawers:

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

From this next part on, remove your drawers from their cabinet if you can. I couldn't figure out how to take the drawers out (that's IKEA for you, once it's built you can't take it apart, ha!), so I just laid the whole thing backward so that the drawer surface would be flat and horizontal.

Lay your fabric down onto each drawer and mark with a washable fabric marker the spot where each screw will go. Using the tip of some sharp scissors, cut a tiny hole in each of those spots.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Working one drawer at a time, apply Mod Podge or similar glue to the drawer's surface. (I didn't realize until I'd started applying glue that my cat had eaten some of the brush! What a cuckoo kitty...)

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Carefully apply fabric to the drawer and use a cloth to flatten any bubbles or wrinkles.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Let the glue and fabric dry. If you've removed your drawers from their cabinet, you don't need to do this, but in this case, I laid the cabinet on its side so that each drawer would dry independently and the edges of the fabric wouldn't get stuck together.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

When dry, apply Mod Podge or similar glue to the top of the fabric.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Once again, allow to dry.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Before putting the hardware back on, insert each screw from the "back" side of the drawer, carefully finding the little holes you cut in the fabric. If necessary, hold the fabric in place with your finger while you help the screw pierce through.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Attach handles back on.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

And, you're done!

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

I am so happy with this project! Total time: about 2 hours altogether, from ironing the fabric to screwing the last handle back on. Total cost: $3 for fabric and small amount of Mod Podge. The IKEA drawers were purchased for about $35 years ago and would have been dropped off at Goodwill or thrown out before long.

If you look too close, it's not perfect. If I did this again, I would add some of that spray to the edges to prevent fraying (what's that thing called?) and I might skip the layer of Mod Podge on top of the fabric. I think it helps seal the whole thing, but it also makes the fabric look "crusty" and lose its sheen. In any case, it looks way cooler than before and is totally usable. Tres Anthropologie, don't you think? I'm psyched.

Jenny: Ikea Drawers Revamp

Do you have beat up furniture that you've thought about revamping with fabric? What kind of prints or colors would you use? Tell me all about it!

Angel-mini-buttonJenny, it looks fabulous! And I can't believe you only used a fat quarter's worth of fabric. Amazing! You did a great job matching up the prints, too. Most of the furniture we have is really old, a lot of things from my paternal grandmother or other family members, so I don't have anything I could really recover at the moment. Unless someone knows how I can re-cover the top of the plastic IKEA kid's table I left outside all summer, it is stained and scratched! I'm not sure anything would adhere to it, though. This really turned out beautifully, Jen!

11 comments:

  1. Love your project. It really makes that cabinet something special. Gorgeous fabric! I did something similar a few years ago also with an Ikea purchase.

    http://cggrlogan.wordpress.com/2008/02/17/25/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becky! I LOVE that red cabinet. Paper was probably easier to deal with than fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so amazing! Great idea. {Scanning room for item to glamorize}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this is awesome! I absolutely love your fabric selection. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! I am pretty happy with it, it's really nice seeing it under my desk as I walk into the room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from One Pretty Thing :)

    Beautiful job!! Look how beautiful it looks under the desk like that!!! Glad u didn't throw it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Taci! I have to admit that even a few weeks later, I'm still so happy to see the drawers under the desk every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please pardon me if I'm being a bit dense...if those are fat quarters, it is quilting fabric? I'm trying to decide what to use!

    I just started looking to cover up a new Ikea piece with drawers I already knew needed SOMETHING and here you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi M'Lynn! Yes, I needed just under the size of a fat quarter of quilting fabric to cover this up. It's a pretty small piece though. The quilting fabric had just the right weight and if that's what you use, I would NOT cover the top with Mod Podge. Just Mod Podge your surface, cover with fabric, smooth it out and you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenny,
    You are a genius! Just love your style....so cool. I'm downunder in Perth and came across your blog and just love all your projects. So I will definitely be coming back to see what other delightful projects you are cooking up.
    Lotsa Love, Maria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...